Old Fragrances/Essential Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoWestcoast

Reaction score
Hello!

I just inherited all of my grandma’s soap/candle making things.

My question specifically is about the essential oils and fragrances. Most are very old. Probably 10+ years. They were left outside in totes for a time (a few months) as well. I looked through them and only 1 had crystalized (which I threw away).

Are these safe to use? What would happen if I used these for candles and/or soaps? Will they cause harm to the people using them?

TIA!

I wouldn't use Lavender or conifer oils that old, they do degrade over time. Cedarwood, patch, some others improve.

I wouldn't use Lavender or conifer oils that old, they do degrade over time. Cedarwood, patch, some others improve.
I have certainly used both that old, when they still smell good. As Allison mentioned, worst case scenario is they may accelerate trace so he prepared for that. They are just to expensive to throw away if they do not smell off.

I have certainly used both that old, when they still smell good. As Allison mentioned, worst case scenario is they may accelerate trace so he prepared for that. They are just to expensive to throw away if they do not smell off.
They can become irritating, though.
Peroxides and degraded linalool can be sensitizers, and DOS is a strong possibility. I wouldn't risk soaping for others with lav or conifer oils that old unless they'd been kept frozen.

Following up on @paradisi - Some of the biggest drops in safe IFRA usage rates for EOs lately are associated with the increasing evidence for skin sensitization when the EO oxidizes. On the other hand, we know that some EOs, like Patchouli, hold up well and the scent may even improve over time. AromaWeb provides guidance.

Guidance from AromaWeb on shelf life of essential oils

Following up on @paradisi - Some of the biggest drops in safe IFRA usage rates for EOs lately are associated with the increasing evidence for skin sensitization when the EO oxidizes. On the other hand, we know that some EOs, like Patchouli, hold up well and the scent may even improve over time. AromaWeb provides guidance.

Guidance from AromaWeb on shelf life of essential oils
I should have mentioned I only use the older eo's in soap which is a wash off. Personally, I have never had a problem with them and my skin is uber sensitive. I refuse to just dump good smelling eo's when oxidation can start happening as soon as the oxygen from the air hits them when we open the bottle. Some common sense has to come into play.

Back