Newbie here with question on first soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleginger73

Reaction score
I followed a recipe exact and now I have a white dust on the outside of my soap and also small reddish specks on the bottom of my soap. No added fragrances or colors. It was a olive oil, coconut oil and green tea.. Not sure what those two things are and if soap is safe.. Any thoughts? Thanks.

It is hard to tell without seeing the soap, but the white dust on the outside is most likely soda ash, and it it only cosmetic, can be easily removed. Not sure about the reddish specks, could they be from the tea?

I was wondering if it was from the tea. It was a green sleepy time tea so It had other things in the tea but the bag didn't get broke.

Does your white dust look like the top of these soap bars? If so, its soda ash
attachment.php

I'm guessing your specks are particles from the tea or something like that.
Anytime you have an issue, posting the recipe and pictures always helps for troubleshooting.

It does look like the picture... I did the zap test and there was a bit of a tongue/burn but it has only been a few days since I made it. Should I give it another week or two and do the zap test again or just throw it out?

It does look like the picture... I did the zap test and there was a bit of a tongue/burn but it has only been a few days since I made it. Should I give it another week or two and do the zap test again or just throw it out?

Noooo dont throw it out! Soap can be zappity for a few days after unmoulding. Wait and test again in a few days, and remember that a zap inst a taste, its a feeling.

The ash on top is purely cosmetic. I embrace it as proof of it being all artisanal, but sometimes I just wash it off with a mesh and cold water if it bugs me.

Back