Natalie the Newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montuckygirl

Reaction score
Hello I'm Natalie and I am new to soapmaking. Right now I'm only doing melt and pour until I get all of my cold process supplies in. I like the artistic side of the melt and pour. I am currently residing down in imperial Valley in California and I also reside part of the year up by Kalispell, Montana as a returning Montana native. One of the things that I am most curious about is how to keep the shape of soap small enough that people with small hands can hold onto it or not be intimidated by the sharp edges. That is one of the draws to melt and pour soap for me.

One of the things that I am most curious about is how to keep the shape of soap small enough that people with small hands can hold onto it or not be intimidated by the sharp edges.
Welcome to the soapy fam! I love your train of thought. Sometimes I watch soapy videos and wonder how do people use a giant bar of soap with soap frosting on top. Looks good and all but practicality wise...

Are you making loaf type or individual mould type? I used to make smaller loaves like 3/4 way full so that the bars are shorter. I also have some small 2oz individual moulds to make smaller pieces for kids.

Welcome to the soapy fam! I love your train of thought. Sometimes I watch soapy videos and wonder how do people use a giant bar of soap with soap frosting on top. Looks good and all but practicality wise...

Are you making loaf type or individual mould type? I used to make smaller loaves like 3/4 way full so that the bars are shorter. I also have some small 2oz individual moulds to make smaller pieces for kids.
I am thinking I will make some smaller loaves like you suggested. I do have individual molds, but wanted to make the loaves with the "live" edges. Also, I get anxious thinking, "I have to commit to that one HUGE piece of soap for how long? I want to use it, but move onto another scent in my lifetime! I think that way when I am purchasing from others and even though it is worth the price I shy away from the large pieces. Of course now just typing this, I realize I was never smart enough to think I could just cut it into pieces. But at a farmer's market I like to buy lots of things for say $30 not just two pieces of soap. I am taking all of this into account with my sizing and prices. Even if it is a little more work somehow, I want to appeal to the crowd of frugals.

Back