Make your own 'colloidal oatmeal' for a fraction of the cost

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite surprised to hear of people buying expensive colloidal oatmeal for use in their soaps. There is a better, much cheaper way, which I wished to share. Hopefully it'll save somebody some money.

1) Throw some whole oats - not instant oatmeal or anything like that - into a coffee grinder or even a decent quality food processor, blender, vitamix, whatever you have. Grind until it seems like most is powder. You'll have some chunks, Don't worry about it.

2) Run this through a very fine-meshed sieve which you've set over a bowl. Fine, but not so fine that the powdered oats can't get through the mesh. Use a spoon to stir the ground oats around in the sieve, encouraging it to fall through.

3) Put whatever is caught in the sieve back into the coffee grinder & top up with more oats.

4) Repeat the process until you have as much oat powder as you need.

You will have some pieces of scratchy stuff left in the sieve at the end. Throw it in a sauce for thickening purposes (any kind of sauce), add it to something you're baking or into your smoothies (no you won't notice it and it's a nutritional boost), feed it to your pets / chickens etc, or throw it in your compost or dig it into your garden soil.

Don't make a massive batch as once they're ground, the oats won't stay fresh as long as in their whole form. Store in a very tightly sealed bag & put that bag into an airtight container in a cool place, or better yet, in your freezer. You can also throw some of those silica gel packs into the powder (the ones you find in vitamin bottles & other products) to keep it extra dry & fluffy. I save all of my silica gel packs for keeping my herbs good & dry.

This can be used in any cold process soap, or hot process or melt & pour for that matter. You can also add other nutrients / additives to this, like powdered sunflower lecithin, calamine powder, clays, milk powder of whatever type, finely ground herbs, you name it. Use your imagination :)

The same can be done with herbs that you find are making your soaps unpleasantly scratchy, rice (try cooking it first, dehydrating the cooked rice in a warm oven, then grinding). I lived in Indonesia for 10 years & the locals would often put their leftover rice out in the sun to dry it, which kinda turned it into a rice crispies type of texture. I'm thinking that if you ran this through a sieve after grinding, you'd get a decent rice powder for use in soap. It's worth a shot :)
Would you
It may not be *exactly* the same, however, the soothing properties of the oats are still very much active, which is what is important.

If someone really wants to go the extra step, they can always do this: Colloidal oatmeal: history, chemistry and clinical properties - PubMed

EDIT:
I have been using oats on my skin - facial & otherwise - since I was 13 years old. I had severe acne growing up, which pushed me to find a solution via my grandmother's many books related to natural healing. She had some amazing reads. a lot which were published long before I was born - 1968.

In that book, a woman instructed people to use raw oats on their skin for all sorts of skin inflammation.

I tried it, many times, and it worked, It still does. I use oats on my face to this day & have zero scarring from acne. No pits, no spots, nothing. Like it wasn't even there.

My granddaughter is now beginning to have acne at 10 years old, beautiful girl. I have made her the same mask I make for myself using very finely ground oats, amongst several other ingredients, employing the simple technique I explained above. It's clearing her skin, along with the milk thistle facial oil I make for her & myself.

It also works for dry, patchy, scaly skin, eczema, and very effectively.

My point is, people can save themselves a great deal of money doing this at home, at the same time increasing their profit margin on the soaps they sell, and it will still work for soothing, healing & clearing inflammation from the skin (which is usually an issue coming from the liver & hormones, but that is a different topic altogether).
Would you mind sharing your ingredients and preparation for the acne mask? My 5 year old is suffering from eczema in between her elbows and knees and my 10 year old is getting acne. Sigh. Thanks for any information.

...Would you mind sharing your ingredients and preparation...

It's my understanding that this individual is no longer an active member of SMF so it's doubtful you will get an answer from this person.

Ditto. Very interesting and informative thread.
I have some super finely ground oats I made myself that I have put in Melt & Pour and more recently in cold process soap. I also have some colloidal oats that I bought but have not yet used.

At the end of August, I'm getting together for a "sister's weekend." It's actually only 3 of my sisters (I have 4) and the rest nieces, in law, SO , and one great niece. There will be 10 of us. I'm thinking if I hop to it, since I'll need time for this soap to cure, I can make a batch of soap with finely ground oatmeal and a batch with colloidal oats, I can have my "sisters" help me do a comparison test.

Back