Lye not disolving

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mell

Reaction score
For the past few years I have been buying/using Essential Power Caustic Soda for my soapmaking. The past 3 or so months I have had to return some unused bottles as every time I buy from a different place, I have the same problem. Some of the lye will dissolve, the water will NOT get very hot and about half the lye remains undissolved and have to be thrown away. I have come to the conclusion that it is a bad batch that has been circulated. Where I live there are limited choices for buying lye. Unless I import, I am still trying to source another kind that will work but to no avail since the only other one I was lucky to find once is not available at the moment.
My ingredients will reach trace but will not go through the other stages as effectively. Separation will take place and will remain very soft. Even if I add more lye and gets hard, it will be very crumbly and oily.

Any advice how to fix this problem until I am able to source some good Lye?

Is "essential cleaner" a brand of drain cleaners ? If so, are you sure that there is only sodium hydroxide in it ? If there is anything else you should probably not use it for soapmaking.

An other possibility is that you don't use enough water. You need at the very least the same wait of water and sodium hydroxide (but your water should get hot even if you didn't have enough).

If none these solve your problem, I have no idea...

You say "Even if I add more lye and gets hard, it will be very crumbly and oily. " What do you mean ? How to you add more lye ?

I tried to look up the actual ingredients and manufacturing method for the caustic soda you were using @Mell, but I didn’t find a label or online information that answered my questions. Check out this thread here on the forum:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/question-regards-caustic-soda.62498/

Honestly, I might consider importing a high-quality sodium hydroxide rather then risk ruining a batch of all the other ingredients. Do you get Amazon deliveries in Granada?

Check the label of the product you use. I'm pretty sure it's not pure sodium hydroxide or a solution of it, but rather a mixture with other chemicals, as the others suggested. I'll have to agree that you need to find actual caustic soda for your soap making and stop using what you have.

While there are other ways to saponify and you can even make lye at home, I wouldn't suggest that - it's just not worth the trouble.

Is "essential cleaner" a brand of drain cleaners ? If so, are you sure that there is only sodium hydroxide in it ? If there is anything else you should probably not use it for soapmaking.

An other possibility is that you don't use enough water. You need at the very least the same wait of water and sodium hydroxide (but your water should get hot even if you didn't have enough).

If none these solve your problem, I have no idea...

You say "Even if I add more lye and gets hard, it will be very crumbly and oily. " What do you mean ? How to you add more lye ?
This particular one is only Sodium Hydroxide as its ingredients.
I have been using it ever since I started making soap and never had a problem with it until recently.
What I meant was I have added more lye to the batch to see whether it will saponify but it has not. It has the texture of moist/wet corn meal. Guess I just have to call it a loss and find me some good Lye.

Check the label of the product you use. I'm pretty sure it's not pure sodium hydroxide or a solution of it, but rather a mixture with other chemicals, as the others suggested. I'll have to agree that you need to find actual caustic soda for your soap making and stop using what you have.

While there are other ways to saponify and you can even make lye at home, I wouldn't suggest that - it's just not worth the trouble.
The label does not say there are any other ingredients. Only Sodium Hydroxide. Have always used it. Never had an issue.

I tried to look up the actual ingredients and manufacturing method for the caustic soda you were using @Mell, but I didn’t find a label or online information that answered my questions. Check out this thread here on the forum:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/question-regards-caustic-soda.62498/

Honestly, I might consider importing a high-quality sodium hydroxide rather then risk ruining a batch of all the other ingredients. Do you get Amazon deliveries in Granada?
I have been ordering from Amazon also. No direct deliveries here. Seems I will have to wait and go back to ordering from there.

The label does not say there are any other ingredients. Only Sodium Hydroxide. Have always used it. Never had an issue.
I see. Then it's probably bad batches, as you said. You mentioned half of it doesn't get dissolved and the water doesn't get very hot. There was probably something wrong in the way it was sealed by the manufacturer, it was exposed to air for some time (you also said you bought it from different places the last few months). If it is the same stuff you've been using for years and you stored it well, that's the only explanation.

Don't increase the concentration to compensate. If you keep using it, your calculations will be wrong every time. It's best to throw it away - hopefully, you will find another distributor soon and you will make your soap just like before!

I see. Then it's probably bad batches, as you said. You mentioned half of it doesn't get dissolved and the water doesn't get very hot. There was probably something wrong in the way it was sealed by the manufacturer, it was exposed to air for some time (you also said you bought it from different places the last few months). If it is the same stuff you've been using for years and you stored it well, that's the only explanation.

Don't increase the concentration to compensate. If you keep using it, your calculations will be wrong every time. It's best to throw it away - hopefully, you will find another distributor soon and you will make your soap just like before!
You are so correct. I tried before and with a last batch and I still had to throw them away. Fortunately for me today I was able to get another brand from a friend, and it is perfect. Thanks for your advice!!

You are so correct. I tried before and with a last batch and I still had to throw them away. Fortunately for me today I was able to get another brand from a friend, and it is perfect. Thanks for your advice!!
I'm glad we were able to help! Happy soaping!

Back