Layering cphp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been unsuccessful on this (tho admittedly didn't put too much effort into finding a solution). When I separated my batch to color/scent differently they cooled somewhat and then when I slopped them into the mold they didn't adhere to each other.

The only thing that works IN MY HEAD is to have two crockpots going at a time.

I can swirl cphp and layer it with one batch, but I was wondering if there was anyway to adhere them together from two different batches. I guess not. Unlike Cp, so I guess I'll have to do it cp.....it's the impatient factor:)

I have done cp to cp I run a fork down and across the mold to score it well , then add the second layer. I don't know if it would work for cphp , but I can't see why it wouldn't either. If you had two crock pots and could get the layers together quickly , I think it might help the 2 layers meld.

Kitn

Unless you made one batch, separated, put one lot in the oven while you worked with the first bit, colouring scenting etc, then get the separated part out of the oven and colour, scent, then mould together. Even put the first part that's already in the mould, into the oven to keep warm while you scent and colour the second lot, then pour, then maybe keep in the oven just for a few minutes so they "meld" together properly.
Does this make sense? :shock: (Please bear in mind that I have only done this in my head not in real life)

I am no expert but would seem to me that if the ones that won't stick together are different temps that could be the problem.

This idea Chrissy had sounds like may be a solution. If you really want that in a HP soap it would be worth the try.

Val

I have done layers in CPHP.
1. When you are done cooking, split the batch up, scent and color BOTH parts BEFORE you start molding.

2. Glop and bang your first layer,

3. then add your second layer, and bang it to get the bubbles out as usual.

You want to be quick from the time the first layer goes into the mold to the time the second layer goes in....basically no break in the rhythm. Get that first layer in, bang it to get the bubbles out and add the second layer. That way the soap should still be vasiline like texture, and the layers will not have any problems sticking together.

I have been thinking about getting two smaller crockpots to split the soap batch into so I can different colors to each crockpot at trace. Then after the cook all that would have to be done is let it cool a bit then scent. That's how I do it when I OHP....well that is how I used to do it till my second stainless steel pot came up missing. GRRRRR!

i tried it too and they looked so pretty (lavender and cream) but they fell apart at the layer.

Thanks guys, I think with what I am trying to do it will be impossible. I did think about going and getting another cp and making two batches at the same time. I'll just make it cp....will probably be better anyway.

Here is what I have learned though when doing cp. EVERYthing must be hot. When I first started, my soap that I took out to color would always get too hard on me, sometimes even the soap in the pot would harden up because of the additives and I would barely get it all in the mold.

So I started putting all my additives in containers, setting those inside my mold and putting the mold inside the oven on warm. Now when I add my additives ect. there is nothing that cools the soap off and I have more time and it makes for smoother soap!

The other suggestion...I add 1-1/2 tsp. glycerine ppo as an additive. It doesn't do anything for the soap except make a much smoother bar of soap that looks just like cp. As it cures, it may be a little greasy feeling, just wipe it off and set it back on the shelf to cool. The greasiness will disappear.

I then put it in a warm oven and let it set till morning...this way it cools off slowly.

Hope these tips help someone.:)

Latest posts

Back