is it possible ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastel

Reaction score
Hello again, looks like I'm active after hibernationI have a question: Is it really possible to make soap that eliminates the need to apply moisturizing products and lotion? I've spent my life not putting anything on my skin or body as I really hate any greasy or slippery feeling But since I have entered my forties, severe dry skin forces me to moisturize. I wish I could shower and wash my hands without the need for constant moisturizing.I read that deeanaa said that the only thing that she noticed that had an effect on the skin when added to soap was lanolinIs the idea of dispensing with moisturizing through well-made soap “with its basic ingredients or additives” realistic and?

I too dislike greasy-feeling skin from moisturizers. Fortunately, ever since I started making my own soap I haven’t had to use any moisturizers. I use a 5% super fat (and a chelator to combat soap scum) and a high percentage of lard along with coconut and olive oils. I only ever moisturize my face in the winter and my skin feels pretty good even though I’m almost 70. Now wrinkles…that’s another story.

Unfortunately dry, flaky skin is a normal part of aging, so it is only going to be more likely as you get older that you will have to start using products to combat that. At a younger age, a good handmade soap might well have been enough, but at my age, unfortunately it's not. But hey - more fun for you once you try making lotion bars! Paging @Zing to the front desk please!

I too dislike greasy-feeling skin from moisturizers. Fortunately, ever since I started making my own soap I haven’t had to use any moisturizers. I use a 5% super fat (and a chelator to combat soap scum) and a high percentage of lard along with coconut and olive oils. I only ever moisturize my face in the winter and my skin feels pretty good even though I’m almost 70. Now wrinkles…that’s another story.
This is great, I hope I have the luck to make soap as wel lWhat percentage of coconut oil do you find suitable?I made a soap with no coconut oil and a little olive oil because I don't like it too drying out my skin and it was the best I've ever made.But I want more bubbles..so my next plan might be lots of camel tallow + coconut oil + lanolin

Unfortunately dry, flaky skin is a normal part of aging, so it is only going to be more likely as you get older that you will have to start using products to combat that. At a younger age, a good handmade soap might well have been enough, but at my age, unfortunately it's not. But hey - more fun for you once you try making lotion bars! Paging @Zing to the front desk please!
I like making them but I don't like using them😬
Yes, you are right, so I will let my skin irritate as it wants 🐊 This solution makes sense to me

Uf da, I am exhausted from this constant paging to the front desk!

I love my lotion bars on my hands and other dry parts. They really have saved my fingers that literally cracked and bled every winter. I also use it on dry parts of my scalp. My good bud uses it daily on his face which totally caught me off guard. He swears by it.

So I'm just curious about why you like to make them but not use them? Lotion bars are so malleable! Once I discovered that mango butter was super absorbent and didn't feel greasy, I was hooked. I use 1/3 each of beeswax, a butter (mango), and an oil. I love making them, I love using them. I get tons of positive feedback.

I love my lotion bars on my hands and other dry parts. They really have saved my fingers that literally cracked and bled every winter. I also use it on dry parts of my scalp. My good bud uses it daily on his face which totally caught me off guard. He swears by it.

So I'm just curious about why you like to make them but not use them? Lotion bars are so malleable! Once I discovered that mango butter was super absorbent and didn't feel greasy, I was hooked. I use 1/3 each of beeswax, a butter (mango), and an oil. I love making them, I love using them. I get tons of positive feedback.

I have a problem with anything that can be felt on my skin or hair, I can't stand it, even if it absorbs quickly. That's why I love soap. Nothing stays on my skin. Making a soap that leaves my skin soft and moisturized would be a dream.

I realized that I didn't specifically answer why I like making them and not using them.. because I am fascinated by everything natural and I like making things but at the same time I don't want to use them 😬

I'm in the same age bracket and hate the feel of anything left on my skin, too. I do occasionally need moisture, but it's rare. I use my version of Zany's no-slime recipe with aloe because my skin seems to really like humectants rather than oils/butters. My skin super dries out if I use higher than 10% coconut oil in soap.

Last edited:
I'm in the same age bracket and hate the feel of anything left on my skin, too. I do occasionally need moisture, but it's rare. I use my version of Zany's no-slime recipe with aloe because my skin seems to really like humectants rather than oils/butters. My skin super dries out if I use higher than 10% in soap.
Yes yes I am exactly like you and it is not about the type of oils or butter that absorbs well and does not leave a sticky feeling .. I do not like anything on my skin
I will tell you a little secret that really works for me I put a little glycerin on my hands after washing them and my hands are wet then I dry them as usual, it gives me great hydration without leaving any feeling / 0 feeling

This is great, I hope I have the luck to make soap as wel lWhat percentage of coconut oil do you find suitable?I made a soap with no coconut oil and a little olive oil because I don't like it too drying out my skin and it was the best I've ever made.But I want more bubbles..so my next plan might be lots of camel tallow + coconut oil + lanolin
Here’s my basic formula:
Castor oil: 5%
Coconut oil 76 degrees: 25%
Lard: 55%
Olive oil: 15%
Superfat: 5%
Water: Lye ratio: 1.50: 1
Occasionally I use frozen milk (e.g., human per request, cow, or goat.)

I love lard!

I like making them but I don't like using them😬
Yes, you are right, so I will let my skin irritate as it wants 🐊 This solution makes sense to me
Moisturizing doesn’t have to mean greasy. A barrier alone doesn't retain moisture. My son doesn’t like greasy feel either. I make a lotion he really likes. It’s possible to make.
You can’t avoid a little moisturizer as you age.

See this post about things to consider when choosing an oil for a lotion.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/body-face-oil-help.93126/#post-1007664

Also check out https://www.newdirectionsaromatics....rrier-oils.html#carrier-oils-absorption-rates
20240726_102258.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s my basic formula:
Castor oil: 5%
Coconut oil 76 degrees: 25%
Lard: 55%
Olive oil: 15%
Superfat: 5%
Water: Lye ratio: 1.50: 1
Occasionally I use frozen milk (e.g., human per request, cow, or goat.)

I love lard!
I am really excited to make my own recipe with camel fat and a mix of vegetable fats.. Thank you 😊
Your recipe looks great

Moisturizing doesn’t have to mean greasy. A barrier alone doesn't retain moisture. My son doesn’t like greasy feel either. I make a lotion he really likes. It’s possible to make.
You can’t avoid a little moisturizer as you age.
Yes that's right.. it seems like there's no escape from it

Just in case any any one is interested there is a great oil free lotion recipe that I even love for hair conditioner. As much as I hate Bramble Berry and Ann Marie it is one of her recipes. It was a great seller for me. Also adding Isopropyl Myristate to lotion bars will help cut the greasiness. I added it to all my lotion bars, it was one of my favorite ingredients and also an ingredient in my oil free lotion.
Here is the link for the lotion, which of course I added a few tweaks but it is a great lotion as is. I will note I do not use the Tapioca Powder in it. I tried it the first time, my test batch, and the lotion went moldy. Also, do not heat the silicone if you do the lotion will not emulsify. I also like the feel of 50/50 cimethecone and dimethicone.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...cQFnoECBwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0cjd3-VTWngtFUYr0DidMQ

Last edited:
Just in case any any one is interested there is a great oil free lotion recipe that I even love for hair conditioner. As much as I hate Bramble Berry and Ann Marie it is one of her recipes. It was a great seller for me. Also adding Isopropyl Myristate to lotion bars will help cut the greasiness. I added it to all my lotion bars, it was one of my favorite ingredients and also an ingredient in my oil free lotion.
Here is the link for the lotion, which of course I added a few tweaks but it is a great lotion as is. I will note I do not use the Tapioca Powder in it. I tried it the first time, my test batch, and the lotion went moldy. Also, do not heat the silicone if you do the lotion will not emulsify. I also like the feel of 50/50 cimethecone and dimethicone.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...cQFnoECBwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0cjd3-VTWngtFUYr0DidMQ

These are great ingredients worth trying. Thank you 😊
I'm very curious about why you hate her ?

I have a problem with anything that can be felt on my skin or hair, I can't stand it, even if it absorbs quickly. That's why I love soap. Nothing stays on my skin. Making a soap that leaves my skin soft and moisturized would be a dream.
I'm with you on this one!
I started making goat's milk soap with low coconut oil like 3-5%. I also use oils that give me a very high conditioning value on the soap calc and lower supper fat like 2%, a lower superfat will increase the bubbles. I use about 40-50% Lard, 5%Shea Butter 5%castor.
Then I add sugar, Aloe, and a chelator so I can get more bubbles.
And let this cute for at least 2 months.

I also like ZNSC but I find my high Lard recipe above more gentle on the skin, I was going to try ZNSC with goat's milk like @AliOop recommends but the price of olive oil is scary these days 😨

as for lotion bars, I absolutely love @Zing lotion bars with mango butter, Thank you Zing!!! I live in the north pole and it's brutal in the winter on my skin. Thanks to Zing's lotion bars and homemade soaps. I had no problems last winter.

I dislike the oil residue from lotion bars. So I make my bars with mango butter and oils that are quickly absorbed, I also made then in an oval soap shape. After I shower, and my body is still wet, I super quickly run the lotion bar on my body where it's dry and needs moisturing. The oval shape makes them slide well.
Then I pat dry myself. It just leaves enough of a barrier to protect the skin without leaving a sticky oil residue behind.
I also noticed that yellow less refined beeswax gives my lotion bars better results than the more refined pellets,
The less refined beeswax is better on the skin and the bars are harder and I get a thinner layer of the lotion bar when I use them.

So good luck, keep on trying and experimenting until you find something that will work for you 😊

I'm with you on this one!
I started making goat's milk soap with low coconut oil like 3-5%. I also use oils that give me a very high conditioning value on the soap calc and lower supper fat like 2%, a lower superfat will increase the bubbles. I use about 40-50% Lard, 5%Shea Butter 5%castor.
Then I add sugar, Aloe, and a chelator so I can get more bubbles.
And let this cute for at least 2 months.

I also like ZNSC but I find my high Lard recipe above more gentle on the skin, I was going to try ZNSC with goat's milk like @AliOop recommends but the price of olive oil is scary these days 😨

as for lotion bars, I absolutely love @Zing lotion bars with mango butter, Thank you Zing!!! I live in the north pole and it's brutal in the winter on my skin. Thanks to Zing's lotion bars and homemade soaps. I had no problems last winter.

I dislike the oil residue from lotion bars. So I make my bars with mango butter and oils that are quickly absorbed, I also made then in an oval soap shape. After I shower, and my body is still wet, I super quickly run the lotion bar on my body where it's dry and needs moisturing. The oval shape makes them slide well.
Then I pat dry myself. It just leaves enough of a barrier to protect the skin without leaving a sticky oil residue behind.
I also noticed that yellow less refined beeswax gives my lotion bars better results than the more refined pellets,
The less refined beeswax is better on the skin and the bars are harder and I get a thinner layer of the lotion bar when I use them.

So good luck, keep on trying and experimenting until you find something that will work for you 😊
Thanks so much for the details
I haven't tried the tallow yet but I have a feeling I'll make my favorite soap out of it, thanks for the great soap recipe.
I'm looking forward to trying the Zing Bar Lotion maybe I'll give it up when I can't stand the dryness

Back