Impatience

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

Reaction score
Sooo what's the worst that can happen if my soap isn't fully cured. It's been about two weeks and I am quite impatient and want to use it lol. Is it just that it will be a bit softer than if I let it go for another couple weeks?

Sooo what's the worst that can happen if my soap isn't fully cured. It's been about two weeks and I am quite impatient and want to use it lol. Is it just that it will be a bit softer than if I let it go for another couple weeks?
The world will not end. Go for it. It will just be better if you let it cure longer is all.

You have to make more soap, lots of it. That way you always have lots of shavings and/or end pieces to create thin hand soaps to try before a long cure and you won’t care that they melt away fast. Go ahead, ask how many little bars I have in the shower or on the sinks at any given time. 😉

Go ahead, ask how many little bars I have in the shower or on the sinks at any given time
@ScentimentallyYours , ok, I know that was a rhetorical question but, I must ask, How many little bars do you have in the shower or on the sinks at any given time? We demand a photo!!! :)

You have to make more soap, lots of it. That way you always have lots of shavings and/or end pieces to create thin hand soaps to try before a long cure and you won’t care that they melt away fast. Go ahead, ask how many little bars I have in the shower or on the sinks at any given time. 😉
I do the same thing with the ends I cut off the end of loafs!!!

I had been making M&P for almost a year before I started CP soap. So, I had LOTS of soap that I was testing using different bases, different fragrances, etc. So, I already had small 1 oz bars, etc. that I was testing in my shower/ sink etc. So, even though I was WAY more curious about how my cold process soap might feel, between being nervous about stray lye and having M&P to check out, I was able to exercise restraint. Now, I just like to WAIT. If it's a great bar, I'd rather use it when it's great than to let it melt away in my shower when its only a week or two old. But, I do enjoy saving all the soap ends and having different colors and shapes in my shower!
So, I'm with @ScentimentallyYours , make lots of soap so that at some point, you have lots of soap ends to try while waiting for longer cures!
Like @Barefoot Farm Girl , I also have some little balls that I've rolled up from soap scraps after cutting etc.

I do the same thing with the ends I cut off the end of loafs!!!
Same here ! The ends are in mesh bag hanging near the sink... and because I tend to try new recipes all the time, I keep checking the proper soaps every day over and over again, hoping secretly that they will cure like magic so they can be tested and approved... soapmaking is a good school for patience - or impatience !

I had been making M&P for almost a year before I started CP soap. So, I had LOTS of soap that I was testing using different bases, different fragrances, etc. So, I already had small 1 oz bars, etc. that I was testing in my shower/ sink etc. So, even though I was WAY more curious about how my cold process soap might feel, between being nervous about stray lye and having M&P to check out, I was able to exercise restraint. Now, I just like to WAIT. If it's a great bar, I'd rather use it when it's great than to let it melt away in my shower when its only a week or two old. But, I do enjoy saving all the soap ends and having different colors and shapes in my shower!
So, I'm with @ScentimentallyYours , make lots of soap so that at some point, you have lots of soap ends to try while waiting for longer cures!
Like @Barefoot Farm Girl , I also have some little balls that I've rolled up from soap scraps after cutting etc.
I am on the other side of this equation. I do wait at least a month before using soap, I think it leathers better after curing. But, boy, I wish the bar can only last for a week or two. I have so much soap at home, that with the rate we are using it - it will last me 10-15 years. And that's IF I will stop making it, and it is NOT happening. Thinking about the places to donate.

Latest posts

Back