How to Rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabama49

Reaction score
It looks like I will be doing my first rebatching in a day or so on a soap that I forgot to add an oil too. Now, can someone give me the directions on how to do that? I took the soap out of the mold as it had only been about 30 minutes and tried to mix the oil in. I then had to pack it almost by hand back into the mold-it was very crumbley. So I'm thinking after reading here that I have to redo it, just not sure how to go about that.

If you have a crock pot that you can sacrifice to soaping, that's the easiest way. Just grate up the soap and add it to the crock pot along with the oil you forgot. Cook on low until it all melts, stirring from time to time. If you don't have a crock pot, you could try to do it in a stainless steel pot in the oven set at no more than 170 degrees. I've never tried the oven method.

For smaller batches, use the microwave. Use a microwave safe bowl. Keep a close eye on it and only zap it for a minute at a time. When it's stirrable, glop it into your mold.

Thanks for the tips-So all I have to do is remelt it and then pour it back into the mold? No stirring or adding anything? Sounds easy enough! I added my forgotten oil when I took it out of the mold right after I realized what I had done so the olive oil is in it now but the soap looks a mess. Very soft & crumbly.

Well, you'll have to stir it when it's stirrable, then glop it back in the mold, but since it's fresh soap, you don't need to add any more liquid.

it won't really melt - it won't go liquid or anything, but it will get mushier.
DO stir, or otherwise move it around. There are some rebatch tutorials around here somewhere.

Go back to every other page. There is a post on almost everyone about rebatching. A little reading goes a long way and searching.

alabama49 said:
It looks like I will be doing my first rebatching in a day or so on a soap that I forgot to add an oil too. Now, can someone give me the directions on how to do that? I took the soap out of the mold as it had only been about 30 minutes and tried to mix the oil in. I then had to pack it almost by hand back into the mold-it was very crumbley. So I'm thinking after reading here that I have to redo it, just not sure how to go about that.

How To Make Rebatched Soap Tutorial

Back