How to Handle Big Tops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
I am fairly new to cp soap, but I have been having good luck and loving it so far! My latest project is a 2 lb loaf with tall, elaborate piping to decorate the top. My base recipe is 40% olive oil, 20% coconut oil, 20% palm oil, 9% avacado oil, 9% Shea butter, and 2% jojoba oil. Since I can't cover the mold due to the elaborate top, I was worried about partial gel. So I decided to try to prevent gel by quickly putting the mold in the fridge after pouring. Well, that didn't work, because I ended up with a big partial gel anyway :-(

When creating big tops, what do you do with your mold after pouring (how do you insulate and/or how do you prevent partial gel in this case?).

Thanks for the help!

If I am gelling it, I put the mold inside a box, then I cover the box with towels. It seems to hold in enough heat to encourage full gel. I have a 3-lb. mold, and it fits just inside one of those soda fridge pack boxes or a USPS Priority Mail "Shoe Box" I saved for the purpose of gelling soaps. https://store.usps.com/store/browse...uctId=P_0_SHOEBOX&categoryId=subcatMSS_B_Free

If I am trying to prevent gel, I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours, then move it to the fridge over night. Then I take it out in the morning. I haven't had much luck preventing partial gel by just sticking the soap in the fridge. Others on the forum seem to have. However, try out the freezer instead and see if you have better luck.

Thanks danahuff...when you use the freezer method, what temps are you soaping at? I usually mix my lye water and oils around 120 degrees. Should I let these cool down more before mixing? Hmmm...to cover with a box and insulate, or try the freezer next time...wish I had a crystal ball :)

I usually soap around 100-110 degrees. If I am making a milk soap, 90 degrees. I don't usually go as high as 120.

I use wooden log moulds and after making my soap, I spritz with alcohol and let it be. I don't tend to have a lot of trouble with ash or partial gels. Of course now that I said that I'm sure Murphy will pop in for a visit....

I use wooden log moulds and after making my soap, I spritz with alcohol and let it be. I don't tend to have a lot of trouble with ash or partial gels. Of course now that I said that I'm sure Murphy will pop in for a visit....

Lindy - Do you have to put the alcohol on the product label and what % alcohol do you use?

91% alcohol (found in the pharmacy department of Walmart and at other pharmacies - you *might* have to ask at the actual counter for it) and no, the alcohol evaporates so no need to label it, to my knowledge.

Latest posts

Back