Honey problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have put honey in soap before...in my COOLED lye solution. I dont know what i was thinking today lol. So i put the honey in the water, then added lye. Its super dark brown. Is it burnt? Should i start over?

It could be burnt but its still safe to use and since the initial heating up is done, you don't have to worry about the soap acting up as bad.

It could discolor your soap though, might be a good time to use a discoloring FO or darker colors.

It could be burnt but its still safe to use and since the initial heating up is done, you don't have to worry about the soap acting up as bad.

It could discolor your soap though, might be a good time to use a discoloring FO or darker colors.
I wasnt planning on colors or FO. Its OMH soap, and i like the way it smells naturally

Burnt honey and honey added after the lye concentration cooled

Attachments

• 1489BA10-7179-4B10-8850-A0C050711D85.jpeg
    1489BA10-7179-4B10-8850-A0C050711D85.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 40
I have put honey in soap before...in my COOLED lye solution. I dont know what i was thinking today lol. So i put the honey in the water, then added lye. Its super dark brown. Is it burnt? Should i start over?

Lol.....I did that the first time I ever mixed honey and lye together. 😂 It hissed and bubbled up in the pitcher, but thankfully did not volcano out (I was prepared just in case, though, by using a tall pitcher and mixing it in my shower). It turned what looked like to be black and smelled strongly of Bit 'O Honey candy, but on closer inspection it was just a really dark burnt orange color. Happily, my soap came out perfectly fine in the end. :)

IrishLass :)

How exciting lol. I have never witnessed gel phase. I usually cpop, wake up in the morning and cut. These are left out on my counter.

notice how the darker burnt one is lighter now?

The experiment continues....

How did you make that texture on top? The one on the right looks like corn on the cob. So cool!

I used honey in this pumpkin soap . It’s two different batches but same recipe both with honey. The ones on top don’t have EO and the ones on the bottom do. I was trying to get a pumpkin pie type smell and asked on a different thread about that. The EOs heated the batter a bit and it’s darker. At least I think that’s what happened .. It’s still not quite the way I want so batch three is next. But I do like the darker ones more. Is it better to use the honey in the lye solution? I mix the honey with a little goat milk then just add when I see emulsion.

Attachments

• 2B60DBEF-207D-4164-B6CD-00C493A0810D.jpeg
    2B60DBEF-207D-4164-B6CD-00C493A0810D.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
the unmolding and the cuts. The burnt honey lye on the right looks slightly darker fresh out of the mold. It also has a maple-y smell. Which i personally dont like, but some ppl might.

the other made my usual way is a little lighter unmolded. But both look exactly the same when cut, i think. I suspect that the burnt one is going to darken up a bit when its cured.

I love the smell of unscented OMH soap. So i am more in love with the one on the left lol.

and excuse my messy workstation/kitchen counter

Attachments

• 5A4D3C51-B8DB-49F2-A61C-69F7BCD96FB6.jpeg
    5A4D3C51-B8DB-49F2-A61C-69F7BCD96FB6.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 14934103-090F-4457-A9AF-F495C0BDB057.jpeg
    14934103-090F-4457-A9AF-F495C0BDB057.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 34
With a spoon 😊

OMG, the photos above play an optical illusion on me. Above it looks like it bumps going up, for a lack of a better description. The photos below I can clearly see that it is spoon imprints... bumps going down. That's why I was wondering how you did that. I'm probably the only crazy one here to see it like that.

For future reference, I mix 50/50 local honey with water, warm it in the microwave and then add it to the warmed oils before adding the lye solution. Note: These days all my additives go into the warmed oils. Mix for 1 full minute before adding lye. Doing it this way, there's far less chance of forgetting something. ;)

@Zany_in_CO thank you! You probably meant that for @Catscankim but I’ll try that too. Does adding the additives in the oil before adding the lye accelerate trace, especially honey? The reason I was waiting til last minute was to try and avoid that before pouring in molds, especially when I was dividing colors for molds. I get hung up with dividing everything and using additives

Last edited:
Back