Hi forum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekuzo

Reaction score
Hello from Bulgaria!

I just finished my registration and decided to leave a little post.

I've been making cold process soap for a year and a half, only as a hobby. 95% of the knowledge I have comes from this forum - thank you so much for all the shared experience!

This place is definitely the number one spot for information on the craft. If I can be helpful to anyone, I gladly would - of course, if I have any questions and need guidance, I would ask as well.

Glad to be here!

@Ekuzo, welcome!
You're from Bulgaria? I'd be curious what oils you usually use? It seems that what is abundant in one place is not always true someplace else.

Hi! Well, the usual suspects - coconut, palm, olive, shea, sweet almond among others... I've never used avocado, safflower or mango, but I just haven't searched for them, they may be available as well. There's grapeseed, rapeseed, high oleic sunflower on the market. I've never used animal fats so far - tallow and lard should be available, but I never was that curious to try, so I stick to vegetable oils for now

Lard and tallow make fabulous soap, especially blended, and used anywhere from 30% up to about 65%. But that's ok if that's not your jam. :)
That's what I heard as well! It's sort of a seasonal availability out here I guess, once I was willing to try with lard and there was none at the local grocery store, and I didn't bother checking out the hypermarket for it, but it won't hurt to search a little bit and see what will pop up - it's a good substitute for palm iirc

Lard and tallow make fabulous soap, especially blended, and used anywhere from 30% up to about 65%. But that's ok if that's not your jam. :)
I'd like to try this. I don't know if what I have is technically tallow because I just cleaned the fat I poured off of ground beef. Do you add something for the lather? Thanks

I don't know if what I have is technically tallow because I just cleaned the fat I poured off of ground beef.
Yes, @Frijoles, you can save fats from cooking and render them in salt water to clean them for soap. Some folks save fats from bacon, duck, goat and pork to make soap. Just don’t mix the fats or you will mess with the saponification values.

@Ekuzo, I wanted to work with very fresh lard and tallow, so I stopped by the meat department of a large supermarket and learned what time they had the most fat trimmings from the meat. I can purchase 10 pounds of fresh food grade fat (sometimes it’s free) and render it ASAP. I prefer to render fats during cold weather because I can put the pan outside to let the fat harden, then lift it from the salt water broth and clean bits from the base.

Hope this helps!

Edit to add: I cook chunks of fresh fat in salt water until it is transparent, then hit it with a stick blender until smooth. All the fat easily rises to the top after blending and reheating. Minimal waste and it saves work. 😊

Yes, @Frijoles, you can save fats from cooking and render them in salt water to clean them for soap. Some folks save fats from bacon, duck, goat and pork to make soap. Just don’t mix the fats or you will mess with the saponification values.

@Ekuzo, I wanted to work with very fresh lard and tallow, so I stopped by the meat department of a large supermarket and learned what time they had the most fat trimmings from the meat. I can purchase 10 pounds of fresh food grade fat (sometimes it’s free) and render it ASAP. I prefer to render fats during cold weather because I can put the pan outside to let the fat harden, then lift it from the salt water broth and clean bits from the base.

Hope this helps!

Edit to add: I cook chunks of fresh fat in salt water until it is transparent, then hit it with a stick blender until smooth. All the fat easily rises to the top after blending and reheating. Minimal waste and it saves work. 😊

Hey, thanks for the advice!

Actually, when I was a kid, we used to have some sort of a breakfast out here that some people may find strange. A slice of bread with a lard spread and some crystal sugar sprinkled - tbh, it didn't taste bad lol. I'm pretty sure pure lard and tallow pop up from time to time out here as they are sometimes used in our cuisine as well, I just need to ask at the right place - because those are, in fact, available in jars and whatnot. Actually I probably won't render my own fat, and if I try to make a lard/tallow soap I would just get the already rendered pure product as it's much easier that way. I'm encouraged by you and others on the forum and may actually try it soon!

Back