Hi everyone 😄😄😄

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone im a mother of two, you can call me mimi...
English is not my mother tongue, so please be considerate with my english...

I'm interested in the making of natural soap, because ive been using it for some time.. My second son was allergic to soap, his skin started to rash and itchy after using "baby soap"

After 13 month, now im making my own soap...
This past months, im giving my soap to my family and my friend, and they loving it... They want me to sell my handmade soap to them but i dont have the courage to sell it because i feel like im still new and need more research about it...
I use pomace olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and adding a little palm oil (10% of total oil).. For color im using mica and Essential oil tea tree, lemongrass

Thankfully, im accidentally running to this forum... Can i join as new member, asking question and help from the master here???

Thankyou so much for reading and replying my post.. I really appreciate it

I also attach some of my soap below

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-21-12-58-39-105_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-21-12-58-39-105_com.whatsapp.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240808_073239.jpg
    IMG_20240808_073239.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20240820-WA0013.jpeg
    IMG-20240820-WA0013.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240731_171656.jpg
    IMG_20240731_171656.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 0

Hello and welcome Mimi!

I'm interested in the making of natural soap, because ive been using it for some time.. My second son was allergic to soap, his skin started to rash and itchy after using "baby soap"
For some of us, bad experience with some product is how we got here! Mine was lotions.

This past months, im giving my soap to my family and my friend, and they loving it... They want me to sell my handmade soap to them but i dont have the courage to sell it because i feel like im still new and need more research about it...
There are folks here who are patient, knowledgeable, and eager to help you learn. And they are nice too!
I use pomace olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and adding a little palm oil (10% of total oil).. For color im using mica and Essential oil tea tree, lemongrass

Thankfully, im accidentally running to this forum... Can i join as new member, asking question and help from the master here???

Absolutely! I'm fairly new myself but I speak from past experience as well as observation.

You're welcome! Thanks for reaching out! New outings can be nerve wrecking😬

They're beautiful!
Thanks for sharing!

Hello and welcome Mimi!

For some of us, bad experience with some product is how we got here! Mine was lotions.

There are folks here who are patient, knowledgeable, and eager to help you learn. And they are nice too!

Absolutely! I'm fairly new myself but I speak from past experience as well as observation.

You're welcome! Thanks for reaching out! New outings can be nerve wrecking😬

They're beautiful!
Thanks for sharing!
Thankyou so much for replying, yes im still learning,

Im reading some thread regarding my difficulties... And if i found nothing, i will post some new thread...

Anw have you ever making soap with argan + avocado + tamanu oil ???

Im developing recipe for my mother, she need all the aging properties..

Im planning to use

45% olive
5% tamanu
8% avocado
8% argan
24% coconut
10% rice bran..

I know using avocado the soap will turn out creamy but mixed oil, i have zero exp

Thankyou so much for replying, yes im still learning,

Me too.

Im reading some thread regarding my difficulties... And if i found nothing, i will post some new thread...
Good plan.
Anw have you ever making soap with argan + avocado + tamanu oil ???
No I haven't. I'm not familiar with tamanu and argan is not an oil I would put in soap. I would put it in something that stays on the skin for a long time (lotion or body butter) first.
This is where the collective group is awesome. I'm not experienced enough yet to make recommendations for this.
Im planning to use

45% olive
5% tamanu
8% avocado
8% argan
24% coconut
10% rice bran..

I know using avocado the soap will turn out creamy but mixed oil, i have zero exp
Again, I don't have enough experience yet to comment here either. But, there are others here who can and will.

Beautiful soap bars, and welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll like it here, there are lots of people willing to help.

When it comes to luxurious and expensive oils that have different skin nourishing properties, the consensus is that it's better if they are used in something that stays on your skin, like lotions and such - like justsomeguy suggested. According to some, you can also add them after the cook in HP soap, but the amount will be little (depending on your SF %) and not much of it will be left on your skin after each bath. So you better stick to leave on products if you want to experience the rejuvenating properties of the oils. Using them in soap (especially CP) will most likely be a waste

No I haven't. I'm not familiar with tamanu and argan is not an oil I would put in soap. I would put it in something that stays on the skin for a long time (lotion or body butter) first.
Thankyou so much, ill consider it
When it comes to luxurious and expensive oils that have different skin nourishing properties, the consensus is that it's better if they are used in something that stays on your skin, like lotions and such - like justsomeguy suggested
Okay, thank you for replying .. Ill consider it..

Welcome among us ! Your soaps are beautiful ! I'm looking forward to see the next ones !

The consensus is indeed that luxury oils are wasted in soap. My own opinion is that they may add something to the user experience, the feel of the foam... So if you try them and like them and can afford them don't refrain from using them. Just be aware that indeed, the soap won't be in contact with the skin for much time. That said, the oils you planned to use definitely won't hurt your mother ;)

When formulating a soap for older skins, consider making it as mild as possible. Meaning not too stripping, as older skins aren't so good at reconstructing a damaged skin barrier (and soap does damage the skin barrier). The result would be uncomfortable skin and faster aging, since damaged skin barrier means inflammation and inflammation means aging.
You could try using even less coconut oil in your recipe to make your soap milder.

Last edited:
When formulating a soap for older skins, consider making it as mild as possible. Meaning not too stripping, as older skins aren't so good at reconstructing a damaged skin barrier (and soap does damage the skin barrier). The result would be uncomfortable skin and faster aging, since damaged skin barrier means inflammation and inflammation means aging.
You could try using even less coconut oil in your recipe to make your soap milder.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome, i tried to reduce the coconut oil but the soap bar result in soapcalc is not satisfying for me... Can i ignore the result from soapcalc, and made my own soap ?? i mean not ignore it totally, just not to think about it too much

I'm back again. I use Zanys no slime castile soap (ZNCS - discussed here) that is mild and long lasting that may work for your needs. There's a Bastile version that subs 15% of the olive out for 10% coconut oil and 5% castor oil.
Thankyou for the link, will read it after this

And fyi just now im making the recipe above (very small batch) im just curious about the result... I will update it after cutting them wish me luck!

Hi, Mimi!

Welcome! I'm from Singapore but based in Pakistan. I find it hard to find ingredients here ... it is hard to say if the essential oils are really pure (no certification!) and oils like palm oil are just not found here (only the factories use them!).

I think your soaps are beautiful :) I'm a beginner too and am trying to make Castile soap for my friends who, like your son, have skin sensitivity. A close friend's son has severe eczema and I really want to make something for him :) Everyone here has been very helpful and kind. I'm sure you'll love it here.

I look forward to seeing more of your soaps!

Im planning to use

45% olive
5% tamanu
8% avocado
8% argan
24% coconut
10% rice bran..

Hi there and welcome! Very nice soaps!
I just wanted to also chime in on the soap for your Mother. I love avocado oil in soap, so that’s a nice add, in my opinion. I use coconut oil at 17% in my soaps to keep it from being too cleansing/drying, maybe drop that down a bit lower? Probably most important, that lovely argan oil - that’s luxurious and pricey for me, so I’d leave it out of soap that just washes off quickly and save it for a product that has longer time on the skin, like lotion. 🌸

Welcome! I'm from Singapore but based in Pakistan. I find it hard to find ingredients here ... it is hard to say if the essential oils are really pure (no certification!) and oils like palm oil are just not found here (only the factories use them!).
Yes same here, its hard to find suppliers, i directly go to chemical store ... Oh really ? In indonesia finding palm oil is super easy...
I think your soaps are beautiful :) I'm a beginner too and am trying to make Castile soap for my friends who, like your son, have skin sensitivity. A close friend's son has severe eczema and I really want to make something for him :) Everyone here has been very helpful and kind. I'm sure you'll love it here.
Thankyouuuu! Yes everyone here are very nice...
Hi there and welcome! Very nice soaps!
I just wanted to also chime in on the soap for your Mother. I love avocado oil in soap, so that’s a nice add, in my opinion. I use coconut oil at 17% in my soaps to keep it from being too cleansing/drying, maybe drop that down a bit lower? Probably most important, that lovely argan oil - that’s luxurious and pricey for me, so I’d leave it out of soap that just washes off quickly and save it for a product that has longer time on the skin, like lotion. 🌸
Okay, i see, thank you for your advice... What is the best substitutes for coconut oil ? Because shea butter, cocoa butter, and all kind of butter are pricey here

You mention you can find palm oil easily - why don't you include it in your recipe? It's an essential part of the so called holy trinity in soap making - PO/CO/OO. It contributes to a hard bar with a stable, creamy lather.

As for CO substitutes - palm kernel oil (notice the kernel part, it's not the same as the other well-known palm oil) and babassu oil have similar properties. But babassu can be pretty expensive - and PKO, I have no idea what price it goes by, tbh. They contribute to a hard bar that's easily soluble and gives bubbly lather. Somewhat similar effect (at least when it comes to the bubbly part, not the hardness) can be achieved by using sugars/alcohols in your soap, or adding a small amount of castor oil. But keep in mind those are lather boosters, not exactly lather producers - meaning they encourage lather that's already present in the soap and don't make it appear out of thin air. That's where oils like CO come in handy - it's, as mentioned above, another one among the most essential oils in soap making. Why do you want to substitute it, you should have access to it and it shouldn't be expensive, I think?

You mention you can find palm oil easily - why don't you include it in your recipe? It's an essential part of the so called holy trinity in soap making - PO/CO/OO. It contributes to a hard bar with a stable, creamy lather.

As for CO substitutes - palm kernel oil (notice the kernel part, it's not the same as the other well-known palm oil) and babassu oil have similar properties. But babassu can be pretty expensive - and PKO, I have no idea what price it goes by, tbh. They contribute to a hard bar that's easily soluble and gives bubbly lather. Somewhat similar effect (at least when it comes to the bubbly part, not the hardness) can be achieved by using sugars/alcohols in your soap, or adding a small amount of castor oil. But keep in mind those are lather boosters, not exactly lather producers - meaning they encourage lather that's already present in the soap and don't make it appear out of thin air. That's where oils like CO come in handy - it's, as mentioned above, another one among the most essential oils in soap making. Why do you want to substitute it, you should have access to it and it shouldn't be expensive, I think?
She is using palm oil in her recipe, see her first post. Not a lot of people feel comfortable using palm oil in soap in this neck of the woods, because of deforestation and animals losing their habitat. People don't like buying soap with it for that reason.

She is using palm oil in her recipe, see her first post. Not a lot of people feel comfortable using palm oil in soap in this neck of the woods, because of deforestation and animals losing their habitat. People don't like buying soap with it for that reason.
That's why I asked - people have different reasons for using/staying away from something. And palm oil in particular is a deep... well, rabbit hole.

Its easy to find, but i dont like PO in my recipe..
Thats another reason why i didnt use palm oil...but maybe if i reduce coconut oil in my soap (i use min 25% of CO in all my recipe) i will consider adding PO

Emm, can i ask something?

I always check my soap using PH strip tester...
Some of my new batch soap already "cured" (PH 8) Is it possible ???

Can i trust the PH Strip tester ?

Welcome aboard! Lovely soap bars!! Everyone here is helpful and friendly. I too stumbled across this site a few years ago. I've been too busy lately to post but read the daily forum as it comes in. Sherry from Morgan Hill farm - The Sudsey Goat Shop

Emm, can i ask something?

I always check my soap using PH strip tester...
Some of my new batch soap already "cured" (PH 8) Is it possible ???

Can i trust the PH Strip tester ?
Using pH strips is not the most reliable method, even if done properly. Some of the widely available ones are cheaply made and don't measure correctly. Even if that's not the case, there's a procedure to follow when someone uses them - a soap solution with a specific concentration needs to be made to show a result you can trust, and people usually don't do that. They just wet the surface of the soap and put the strip on top to make it draw liquid, which doesn't measure properly. Even if you have proper testers and you do follow the procedure to get the most reliable results, there's an easier method that's free - zap test. You get zap - your soap is lye heavy or it hasn't finished saponifying yet. You get no zap - your soap is safe to use. Of course, that method doesn't measure the particular pH level, but in most cases we don't even need that. For most soap makers the zap test is enough. Here are the instructions on how to do it:

https://classicbells.com/soap/zapTest.asp

According to the link, which also cites Kevin Dunn's book as a source for at least a paragraph in the article, 'The pH for properly made, skin-safe soap can range anywhere from about 9.5 to about 11.5. The exact pH for a given soap will depend on the particular blend of fatty acids in the soap recipe.' There's a high chance that the pH of 8 that you get is not correct, it's too close to neutral - and according to people who have run pH tests, some strips tend to show results lower than the actual level. Hope that helps!

Hello and welcome!

Oils that make your soap lather are: Coconut, Babassu, Palm Kernel (Use at no more than 20% - or only 10% if you want it to be less harsh)
Oils that help with hardness/longevity are: Lard, Tallow, Palm, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter or Soy wax (Use a combination of these up to a total of about 40%)
Oils that help with gentleness are: Olive, Almond, Avocado, Rice Bran, Sunflower ( use up to a total of about 40%)
Castor is in a league of its own and helps to support the bubbles - use at 5%

This link might help to explain the properties: https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/blog/the-most-popular-fatty-acid-profiles-in-soapmaking/

Back