Help Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanieB

Reaction score
I found this recipe and I'm out of Castor..can I use something in it's place?? And is it safe to double a recipe as the one I want to try is very small.

It will help people make suggestions if you post the recipe. Castor isn't necessary but it does help with conditioning, creaminess and gives a boost to the lather. A lot of people never use castor in their recipes. I generally always use castor. :wink:

You can double a recipe but run it through a lye calculator to get the correct amount for the lye.

umm..did my post show up?? not sure if it did..so here it is again
Castor .80oz
CO 4.8oz
OO 6.4oz
Tallow 4.0oz
Lye 2.265oz
Liquid 5.28oz

I'm having a hard time finding Castor and will have to order it in..also I've never used tallow before..so hoping it works!

walmart carries castor and so does CVS hehe in the area with laxatives
they are I think 4oz bottles
walmart was less in cost

you can also order it online many sources

as for your recipe you can remove the castor and run it thou the lye calculator

DragonQueenHHP made a good suggestion. Just leave the castor out of the recipe. However, I want to mention the CO percentage is a bit high so the soap may be a little drying if you have dry or sensitive skin.

Hi,

I do agree with Hazel. 30% coconut oil is abit too much if this shampoo is meant to be used on Skin. I tried before and my skin almost cracked. You can try to adjust it down and maybe put more OO or some other oil instead.

Thanks all..I did find some Castor at a dollar store of all places..and will adjust for the CO..thanks again..you are all awesome :D

So far the cheapest place I have found Castor is my Wal-Mart. 6oz for $2.88. I wish I could find a GIANT bottle of it. Imagine what ppl would think if I asked for that..........since ppl use it for a Laxative :shock: Hahaha

As I don't lived in the States or Canada, the easiest way for me to get castor oil is through iherb.com

It seems a decent site with good discount.

Latest posts

Back