Great Value tallow, lard, soy bean shortening??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody, bought a tub of gv tallow/lard shorting. Used it in last months wood grain challenge. It worked well. Has tallow, so it did trace quicker. But nothing drastic, just noticeably quicker.
received_1027606035743964.jpeg
My question is shelf life? Anyone been using it. Longer than my 2 weeks? Is it prone to dos? It would be easier to buy. Than ordering straight tallow online. Thanks for looking.

Hi, thank you for the replies. Used crisco in my very first 2 batches. Only time I've seen dos. But using cost saving ingredients. Brings new challenges. Dos being one of them. I have a high CO recipe. For a mechanic/coffee scrubby soap. That I want to use it in.
An online listing shows GV tallow/lard/soy shortening contains BHA and BHT, so hopefully that quashes DOS. With the blend of oils, how did you determine how much lye to use @Ford?

Hi, used the tallow/palm setting on "soap makers friend". Just looking to replace. The straight tallow I have. When it runs out. It did make a really good bar of soap. 2 Different cans on the shelf at Walmart. But only one setting in the calculator?

Last edited:
I use GV shortening for soapmaking workshops (focusing on ingredients that are easy to find for an occasional soapmaker). I use it in a recipe with OO, CO and castor (I think the shortening is 35% off the top of my head). Typical shelf life is about 14 months before soap develops DOS. I have shelf tested the same recipe using lard instead of shortening and haven't had issues with DOS. I use the same SAP value for the GV Tallow and the GV Vegetable shortenings with a 3% SF. Soap has never been lye heavy or greasy, so I think they're "close enough" to each other for small batches. I've never made more than a 900g batch.

Back