French Milled

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am also interested in making French Mill style soap. I want to use a Saipua recipe and would like to know if anyone has a source for the beautiful tissue paper they use. I believe it's an Italian paper. Is this wax backed?

French milling (aka milling) is a process that the average small-scale soap maker cannot do. You need specialized rolling equipment to mill soap. Cool, dry soap is pressed between chilled metal or stone rollers to make the soap harder and more dense. It's sometimes called "French milling" because the process was first developed in France back in the day.

The term "milling" is sometimes incorrectly used when people really mean the process of "rebatching". Rebatching is the process of heating soap usually with a bit of added liquid until it forms a thick paste, and then pouring the paste into mold(s). So heat and liquid are required.

Not sure which method you're talking about, so I'm explaining both.

I have no advice about the paper nor the recipe you're looking at.

@Fishingerk1 , my understanding of French milled soap is as @DeeAnna explained.
The "milled soap"artisan soap that is possible to make at home without special commercial equipment is really rebatched soap. I'm newer to soapmaking and had never heard of a Saipua recipe. I googled for this. Although I see that it is sold, I still don't understand exactly what it is or what paper might be used.

Would you mind describing what this saipua soap is?

Their
From what I find online, Saipua is a vendor that sells 6oz bars of soap for $22.00. I'll pass on that one.

Woof! Those prices are outside my budget too even allowing for the generous weight (6 oz) of the bar. But if the soap maker has a clientele who will pay those prices, more power to her.

Looks like she's using mainly olive, coconut, and castor, and shea butter as her main fats. These ingredients aren't out of the ordinary -- they're solid soap making ingredients that make good soap.

The photos show bars that look like cold process soap based on the colors and textures. I'd also say the maker encourages the soap to go into gel, based on the caramel color of the goat milk bar and the translucency at the edges of other bars.

I didn't read any claim that the maker actually mills the soap, although I didn't spend a lot of time at their website so I might have missed this claim. The soap bars don't look like milled soap to me -- the bars are obviously cut from a larger loaf, rather than formed by pressing into a mold as is done with milled soap.

Back