fractionated coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootsbrew

Reaction score
I think that is what it is called... it is coconut oil which is liquid. I ordered this by mistake and wondering if there is any differences when I make soap. I made a couple of batches and the soap when unmolded is a little softer. It is hardening up but...

Also I had a batch which was very greasy upon unmolding. Now I know I added a tablespoon too much of castor oil to the 2lb batch (I added 3 instead of 2 tbsp) I wonder if the greasy feel and look is from that or the coconut oil.

will this greasiness dry up as it cures?

thank you so much.

I did an experiment with fractionated coconut oil and I don't recommend it for soap. It doesn't produce a bubbly lather like solid coconut oil. The only soap it actually was okay in was a bastile of 70% OO/30% FCO and even this one wasn't very nice.

However, FCO is great in scrubs, lotions and massage oils. You could also use it in bath bombs.

Give your greasy soap a few days or longer. The oil should reabsorb. You can rebatch it if it doesn't reabsorb.

I made a batch of CP with fractionated coconut a few weeks ago. I have read that it makes soap too soft to use. I would have to say that the bars are quite soft weeks after making them, and will likely not last very long. Coconut oil is a very different product that hardens bars and is a staple ingredient in soapmaking. I don't think I'm going to attempt to use the fractionated coconut oil again.

Back