Force Gell after the fact

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gkwallace

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but I thought I'd share my experiment.
I make 5lb loafs of pure beef tallow and sometimes don't get a full gel all the way to the corners.
I tried all kinds of insulating and temperature tricks, but once in a while the very corners are discolored.
I decided to put it some test bars in the oven to see if it would re-gel.
My oven is from 1955 and electric so who knows what temp it really was. I set it to an indicated 190 degrees.
It took 1.5 hours (plus preheating) and the soap is now completely uniform in color.
I've read that this method doesn't work, but in my case, it did.

off subject here --- Those ovens are a workhorse😍!!
We had an antique electric GE stove with double oven (side by side) in our apartment when we first got married in 1996. We brought it with us when we moved. We used it here as a second stove, then gave it to my brother in law who has a farmhouse built in 1880 (fit perfectly in his kitchen alcove that used to have another antique stove). It continued to work until a few years ago.

Great save! That’s a nice feeling, isn’t it?

This has worked for me in the past as well. These days, I put all my soaps on a heating pad and don’t get partial gel anymore.
That's what I'll be doing in the future. I just don't know if I'm going to get a heating pad or a heating blanket.

Latest posts

Back