FO Discolouration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle La

Reaction score
Hello! I used a fragrance oil called white musk in this soap. Everything seemed fine, no acceleration that I could tell, nice steady pour with no ricing etc, but after a short time in the mold (which is see through) I noticed a sort of brown tint. After cutting it seems the mottled brown is mainly on the outside of the bar. Could it be the FO that has done this?

Outside:
IMG_1507.jpeg

Cut edge:
IMG_1508.jpeg

Could be-- where'd you get the FO? What did the manufacturer's notes say? What about the reviews? Did they mention discoloration? You'll know for sure if it continues to change color over the next few days.
There’s only one review which unhelpfully just says “stunning fragrance”, and for the record it stinks. I’m in the UK and I don’t think the suppliers I’ve found here have the same number of reviews.

The supplier didn't say anything about how it behaved in soap?
Nope. Just in their generic description of fragrances that it’s suitable for soap making. But that description also warns that some fragrances may discolour and to test in small batches. Not very helpful I know.

It's probably got vanillin in the FO.
Ah okay. I figured that would discolour throughput rather than be patchy. I have broadly avoided anything that I can obviously identify as having vanillin for I am a chicken.

If it is discoloration due to FO, it will spread throughout the bar over about a week. If the inside stays normal and the patch on the outside stays, then it's a different issue, like residue on your mold or something.
Ah okay, that would make sense. I’ll watch and see what happens, thank you.

Back