First Bars and Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those dots look like stearic spots. What oils did you use in that recipe? It's not a big deal more of a cosmetic issue and one only another soapmaker will notice.....

Stearic spots are caused by high stearic oils....

The recipe for the bar with the dots/bubbles is:

Lard: 31oz
Olive Oil: 8oz
Castor Oil: 1oz
Lye: 5.2 oz
Water: 6.7oz
Coconut Milk: 7oz

Plus I threw in those brownie bits.

Stearic spots.... hmmmm.. I'll look it up. Thanks!

I would think it's coming from the lard - I can't tell you really how to avoid the spots - they do just show up sometimes. Truly your soaps look great especially for first batches.....

I couldn't resist and I tasted all the bars for zap test. Nothing. No zap. I tried various parts of the soaps too. :shock:

colors.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the help. Sometime this weekend I plan to use carrot, red wine, honey, rosemary, and goat milk (not all in the same soap). I also want to start making use of fragrances. Anyone know of an inexpensive and reliable source for fragrances?

Nice looking soap! I can't get over the number of newly minted soapers who are turning such gorgeous first attempts...!

Fragrances.... boy is that a can of worms! :wink: Ask 10 soapers and you will get 10 different answers as to who is the best. I don't have any fierce allegiance to one in particular. I have used:

Bramble Berry - I have only been happy with about 50% of the ones I have tried. I also feel they gouge a bit on shipping and since they are in Washington near the Canadian Border, it takes a full week or more for my shipments to arrive. They REALLY shine in customer service however - unbelieveably good folks.

The Scent Works - extremely happy but veeeery spendy, almost prohibitively expensive for some, like their Bath & Body Works duplications. Each FO is individually priced and they vary wildly from $3/oz to $7/oz...bearing in mind that the usual usage rate is .7 to 1.0 oz per pound of base oils. They ship pretty quickly. For each FO, they also have fantastically detailed notes on discoloration, acceleration, and overall performance - which many of the other supply houses omit or supply only sporadically.

Peak Candle Supply - EXCELLENT quality oils, EXTREMELY fast shipping (same day on most of my orders). Very reasonable prices, but their selection is somewhat limited compared to, say, WSP - who has hundreds.

WSP (Wholesale Supplies Plus) - I have only tried two, total gambles, did NOT like, but hey that is not their fault. Standardized pricing and fair shipping rates. They also have a 10 pack of your choice of 1 oz. samples - excellent for experimenting.

It really boils down to trial and error. I'll get a couple that sound good in the smallest size (usually 1 or 2 oz) and do a test batch. If I like 'em, great. If not, I'm not toooo disappointed. Sometimes I will buy the same fragrance (e.g., Eucalyptus Spearmint) from two places and compare/see which one I like better.

PS - we thrive on photos here... :wink:

PPS - I looked into Lard... its only 13% stearic acid, so I might disagree with Lindy; however, she is far more experienced than I am at soaping, so...

Excellent job!! Thanks for the pics.
I just love how you are diving right in with such enthusiasm.

I was thinking stearic on those dots too...

In the first set of pics does anyone else see a spooky face peeking out of one of the brownie soaps? :twisted:

Oops! I guess I meant the second set of pics...

xyxoxy said:
Excellent job!! Thanks for the pics.
I just love how you are diving right in with such enthusiasm.

I was thinking stearic on those dots too...

In the first set of pics does anyone else see a spooky face peeking out of one of the brownie soaps? :twisted:

Oops! I guess I meant the second set of pics...

I totally see it, very cool. Looks like an anguished woman.

I see the face too!

Did you make your own molds? I want hubby to make me some new molds. What are the sizes on yours and how much oil are you using? Another question... How did you cut those. They look perfect!

The white spots could be the coconut milk ? I have noticed it acts differently for me in different weather....
Your soaps look awesome :!: I also agree that the "brownie" looks very appertising :lol: Might have to head off to the shop and get a chocolate fix now hehe....

I totally see the face. I'm going to start looking more closely at my soaps. who knows what I'll find?

Jezzy: I made my own molds. I bought some wood for $3 at a used stuff store, borrowed a circular saw from a neighbor (first time using), put a few screws in, and voilá! If I can do it, anyone can do it. I made it 12" length (see pic) so that I could use Reynold's freezer paper and not have to waste much paper. I've now cut a small piece of wood to "shorten" the length of the mold to a variable length for trying small batches. (not shown)

mold.jpg

Somewhere in this forum, I learned a formula to calculate the amount of oils to put and it seems to be spot on (thanks again).

1. figure out the volume of your container: V = W x L x H
2. In my case, I used V= 4 * 12 * 2 (I wanted the bars 2" high)
3. Multiply your result times 0.4
4. I obtained 38.4, but I decided to do an even 40. So I used 40 ounces of oils. I might even do a little more to allow for shrinking.

As for cutting into bars, I used a regular chef knife for the brownie, but then I remembered I had a cheese cutter that I never used... much nicer cut!

cutter.jpg

The spots issue: I'm pretty sure they're little pockets of air. Like I mentioned earlier, I was blending like the devil because it wasn't coming to trace, even raising the blender above water level.

colors2.jpg

Thumbs up! You rock! Thanks for such a great explination!

I want a cheese cutter!

We own a carpentry. I am going to show my husband (carpenter) your plans...

Very nice-- and thank you BakingNana for making me think of brownies for breakfast... SMF is the first thing I look at when I wake up! :)

I'm so glad to see the wooden mold posting-- I made my own, too, but didn't include a bottom. They're just frames. I put them on a tray, line with freezer paper, and when the soap is ready to be cut, I release the freezer paper (held on with little pieces of tape), life the frame straight up, and the soap is ready to cut! You mentioned putting an extra piece of wood width-wise for smaller batches-- I also do this length-wise to make skinnier bars from time to time. Purely aesthetic. I like variety! :wink:

Those are gorgeous first soap!!! I'm impressed! :)

You own a carpentry? oh well... it should take your husband only a few minutes. I only own a drill and a few screwdrivers. I even had to go buy the drill bit as I didn't have any.

I use Reynold's Freezer Paper, 18" wide, to line the molds. I cut about 10", use the drawing below to fold, and I'm done lining my mold in a minute or two.

folding.jpg

Not to scale :D

Welcome...and your soaps are awesome!...Olive oil (higher %) does take longer to trace....I want to try castile sometime soon.... :) .. I use mostly wsp scents and am happy with most of them...I just ordered from Bitter Creek North...just because I wanted Aqua Di Gio...and it was on sale... lol...I like BB scents so far too...but I mostly order from wsp...

Nice soap.
I adore peak for fos, they have a buy 10-1 ouncers for $20, and you can double or triple any ones(some place dont let you order more than one of each scent) Also, berts heaven scent is nice., and natures garden.
For oils and butters, I shop at soaperschoice or oils by nature( I just buy oo and co at walmart).
have fun, looks like you are off to a great start.

Latest posts

Back