Face Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful with 100% coconut oil soap for the face.
1) When it is fully saponified, it is extremely drying to most people's skin.
2) If you use a high SF% the unsaponified oil may make your skin break out, if you're prone to acne. The comedogenic rating is 4: "most people will break out using this oil, unless they have a good tolerance for it." from Holistic Health Herbalist, The Complete List of Comedogenic Oils.

Coconut oil is an ambiguous oil in my book. As an oil it is very slow to absorb, but is moisturizing. I like putting some in foot balm.
In soap, saponified coconut oil is drying to most people's skin. That's why I keep my CO to no more than 20% in my regular soap recipes.

Personally, for my face, I prefer my neem oil soap (@ 15% of oils). It does take a longer cure, just to get rid of the neem oil scent. I do add EOs as well, can't remember which ones at the moment, that help offset the neem oil smell as well.
My post was a little off-topic, about soap made with one oil only - unrelated to facial soap per se. But I get your point distinguishing the two, someone may get confused while reading the thread.

Actually, I'm one of those who like high CO soap and use 25% of it in my regular recipes. I have oily skin and it feels good and not drying to me - but I agree that there are no 2 people with the same type of skin

Latest posts

Back