Face Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomahtashi

Reaction score
Hi there,
I make cold processed soap and recently experimented with kaolin clay for the first time.
Implementing this clay got me thinking - what other ingredients would be good to add to a batch that is beneficial as a face soap?
I want to make soap with ingredients that enhance the soap for face use, but I also don't want to make cosmetic claims (as I don't plan to get permit/license for cosmetic use)

TLDR;
What are the best soap ingredients for cold processed face soap?

Kaolin clay is a good idea already. What I would do myself, is more about the choice of oils. I would use way less coconut oil than in my base recipe so the soap won't be drying. I would also up the butter content. Maybe make it 1 or 2 % more superfatted.

I do think that it is important not to overclean your face, but I still need to use a cleaning agent as I use sunscreen and/or rich face creams. So I just try to use very gentle soap.

I actually want to try making a 100% shea butter face soap, but I fear fake trace :'(

Why the fear? If temp is high enough, it should be fine
I just never did it and usually don't soap with vety high butter recipes. I also usually soap at near room temp. So I fear things will be moving faster than I'm used to. I will try someday for sure, but it is on the long list of stuff I want to try ;) I don't have a lot of soaping time rigt now, so I tend to go toward easy/without many new parameters recipes atm.

Kaolin clay is a good idea already. What I would do myself, is more about the choice of oils. I would use way less coconut oil than in my base recipe so the soap won't be drying. I would also up the butter content. Maybe make it 1 or 2 % more superfatted.

I do think that it is important not to overclean your face, but I still need to use a cleaning agent as I use sunscreen and/or rich face creams. So I just try to use very gentle soap.

I actually want to try making a 100% shea butter face soap, but I fear fake trace :'(
Good points. What's fake trace?

Choice of oils would be my first place to start. I love a high lard or tallow soap. For the below soaps I used 75% lard or tallow, 20% coconut oil and 5% castor. Some people will say that’s too much coconut, you could always use 10% each coconut and another liquid oil. I understand not everyone wants to use animal products so that’s a personal choice.
On my face no I am currently using a triple rice soap I learned about here on SMF and I really like it. Here is the link.
Thread 'Triple rice soap'
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/triple-rice-soap.73935/
Is it worth the extra work to make it? Maybe? Is it better than the colloidal oat soap I made with the same oils? Maybe?
One caution I do have is if you use fragrance keep it light and make sure it’s something you want to smell until the smell disappears, or don’t use any.

I make a facial soap with a go-to recipe. In What soapy thing thread, you’ll see a version with AC and Tea Tree EO I recently made. I can’t figure out how to link it 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
I agree with @Tammyfarms, keep your EO/FO light. I use a s,all amount of coconut citrus sorbet from BB in my version with the AC.

I make a facial soap with a go-to recipe. In What soapy thing thread, you’ll see a version with AC and Tea Tree EO I recently made. I can’t figure out how to link it 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
I agree with @Tammyfarms, keep your EO/FO light. I use a s,all amount of coconut citrus sorbet from BB in my version with the AC.
I just figured out the linking thing! Well, I think I did…. When looking at the message you want to link, at the top of that message there is a date and/or time the message was sent. To the right is a little triangle with circles on the tips. Click on that and paste it in the message to link. 🤞🏻
I see you have already linked the post but maybe this will help for future use.

I just never did it and usually don't soap with vety high butter recipes. I also usually soap at near room temp. So I fear things will be moving faster than I'm used to. I will try someday for sure, but it is on the long list of stuff I want to try ;) I don't have a lot of soaping time rigt now, so I tend to go toward easy/without many new parameters recipes atm.
Oh, so you're missing out on the 100% CO soap, which is a good one! CO is not exactly butter, but it's close enough. It will be a good point of reference for a one-oil-soap if you want to delve deeper with shea butter and stuff, definitely try it if you get the time!

Good points. What's fake trace?
Fake, or false trace - is when you soap at a lower temp and some of the hard fats start to solidify within the mixture, making it look like part of it is emulsifying while it's actually not. It can happen if you use waxes or butters, but not only.

Oh, so you're missing out on the 100% CO soap, which is a good one! CO is not exactly butter, but it's close enough. It will be a good point of reference for a one-oil-soap if you want to delve deeper with shea butter and stuff, definitely try it if you get the time!

Fake, or false trace - is when you soap at a lower temp and some of the hard fats start to solidify within the mixture, making it look like part of it is emulsifying while it's actually not. It can happen if you use waxes or butters, but not only.
I do stain sticks with 100% coconut oil 😂

Latest posts

Back