Everything Is a Learning Experience

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is how my Saturday went: I was going to try & make a simple goat milk soap recipe. Since it is a slow process, I was slowly adding the lye to the frozen goat milk. The temperature can't go over 70 degrees, or your milk will scorch. I then began making my next batch of soap named "Lemon Burst." Sadly, I added to much mica in 3 colors of yellow. I went overboard on the yellow as you see in the picture. Then off to check the temperature on the milk. It's doing great, so I add the last 12 grams of lye and BOOM-the temp explodes to 95 degrees! Burnt! I say oh well and move on to experiment #3. I am going to try my hand at the ever so beautiful Kaleidoscope swirl. Thankfully, I made a teeny tiny batch as you see I surely didn't waste ingredients on to much soap. The recipe was slow moving, but this is a process you can't rush, and I was in to much of a hurry. I also didn't put the metal disc holder in the middle like I should have done. All in all I learned a lot & I also have fun laughing at myself at times.

Attachments

• weekendsoap.jpg
    weekendsoap.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
Your soap looks good! You might try setting your lye/frozen milk in an ice water bath. I usually set my mixing container in a nest of ice cubes and mix the frozen milk. By the time all of the lye is added and mixed thoroughly into the milk, some of the ice cubes in the ice nest have melted; but the water bath is still cold, keeping down the temperature of the lye mixture. Another method is to subsitute half the milk with water. Dissolve the lye in the water and stick blend the milk into your oils. You can also use powdered milk. Some people say that you can stick blend the powdered milk into the oils. I usually try to deduct a little water from the water used to dissolve the lye. I use that amount to hydrate the powdered milk, making it easier to blend into the oils.

Your soap looks good! You might try setting your lye/frozen milk in an ice water bath. I usually set my mixing container in a nest of ice cubes and mix the frozen milk. By the time all of the lye is added and mixed thoroughly into the milk, some of the ice cubes in the ice next have melted; but the water bath is still cold, keeping down the temperature of the lye mixture. Another method is to subsitute half the milk with water. Dissolve the lye in the water and stick blend the milk into your oils. You can also use powdered milk. Some people say that you can stick blend the powdered milk into the oils. I usually try to deduct a little water from the water used to dissolve the lye. I use that amount to hydrate the powdered milk, making it easier to blend into the oils.
I might give that a try, burnt the second round of milk earlier. Third try is the charm...LOL

Back