Entry thread for the September 2022 SMF Soap Challenge - Hybrid soaps, pouring CP and MP together.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also made soap with M&P embeds, and there hasn't been any separation. I also used a high lye concentration (40%) so perhaps that's the key?
I have been thinking of using melt and pour for embeds and shapes on the tops of my soaps. What base do you like? I know nothing about melt and pour. Except that some can sweat.

When looking at older posts, you can always click on the name of the poster to see when they were last seen on the forum.

@Tammyfarms , is there a way to know if the person has LEFT the forum, or just not been active? I assume some soapers might be more active early on when they are still trying to figure things out, or really excited about soaping, and then as other interests take over, maybe not active but still get messages?

I've also made soap with M&P embeds, and there hasn't been any separation. I also used a high lye concentration (40%) so perhaps that's the key?
@AliOop and @Mobjack Bay , I'm not actually as concerned about separation (actually, mainly because it hadn't occurred to me.... ), I was thinking of the texture difference. In an earlier thread, someone commented that the embeds felt harder than the rest of the soap. She didn't really like that texture difference.

I did try my first batch with 40% lye concentration last night, so thank you for the suggestion!!!
I'm kind of excited to see how it turns out. I was a little nervous to have so little water. But, my recipe had a good amount of lard and I deliberately made only a two color swirl. One color being no color. I also picked a cranberry FO that had no indicators that it would accelerate. I had PLENTY of time. I won't know for awhile how much my soap shrinks, but I'm thinking it shouldn't shrink like my earlier soaps.

In the past, I had been concerned about the M&P sweating. I recently bought some Low Sweat M&P and hope to use it if I make embeds that will go on TOP of the soap, as opposed to inside the soap. So, the low sweat M&P should help.

I have been thinking of using melt and pour for embeds and shapes on the tops of my soaps. What base do you like? I know nothing about melt and pour. Except that some can sweat.
@Tammyfarms, I have used several kinds of bases, and different brands as well.
I don't know if it was my imagination, but it seemed to me like the goatmilk base I bought was a little softer than all other bases.
I thought the coconut base seemed a little harder to me- but maybe just because I know coconut oil makes CP soap harder.
I'd definitely recommend low sweat M&P if you will be putting embeds on top of the bar, as opposed to inside.

I've only used Brambleberry's M&P a couple of times early on when soaping with my girlfriend. It was her base. It must not have been low sweat because it sweated. I didn't buy from B&B because their shipping is alot.
I've bought alot of Primal Elements on Amazon (it's a California company owned by women-- so I liked supporting a female own company) and I've bought Stephenson on Amazon, too, because that's the brand that was recommended to me.
I bought clear No Sweat M&P from Wholesalesuppliesplus.com but I haven't used it yet so I can't compare to Primal Elements regular clear soap base.

@Tammyfarms, I have used several kinds of bases, and different brands as well.
I don't know if it was my imagination, but it seemed to me like the goatmilk base I bought was a little softer than all other bases.
I thought the coconut base seemed a little harder to me- but maybe just because I know coconut oil makes CP soap harder.
I'd definitely recommend low sweat M&P if you will be putting embeds on top of the bar, as opposed to inside.

I've only used Brambleberry's M&P a couple of times early on when soaping with my girlfriend. It was her base. It must not have been low sweat because it sweated. I didn't buy from B&B because their shipping is alot.
I've bought alot of Primal Elements on Amazon (it's a California company owned by women-- so I liked supporting a female own company) and I've bought Stephenson on Amazon, too, because that's the brand that was recommended to me.
I bought clear No Sweat M&P from Wholesalesuppliesplus.com but I haven't used it yet so I can't compare to Primal Elements regular clear soap base.
@Tammyfarms , is there a way to know if the person has LEFT the forum, or just not been active? I assume some soapers might be more active early on when they are still trying to figure things out, or really excited about soaping, and then as other interests take over, maybe not active but still get messages?

@AliOop and @Mobjack Bay , I'm not actually as concerned about separation (actually, mainly because it hadn't occurred to me.... ), I was thinking of the texture difference. In an earlier thread, someone commented that the embeds felt harder than the rest of the soap. She didn't really like that texture difference.

I did try my first batch with 40% lye concentration last night, so thank you for the suggestion!!!
I'm kind of excited to see how it turns out. I was a little nervous to have so little water. But, my recipe had a good amount of lard and I deliberately made only a two color swirl. One color being no color. I also picked a cranberry FO that had no indicators that it would accelerate. I had PLENTY of time. I won't know for awhile how much my soap shrinks, but I'm thinking it shouldn't shrink like my earlier soaps.

In the past, I had been concerned about the M&P sweating. I recently bought some Low Sweat M&P and hope to use it if I make embeds that will go on TOP of the soap, as opposed to inside the soap. So, the low sweat M&P should help.
Thanks for the info on melt and pour. That gives me a place to start.
As far as I can tell, there is no way to tell if someone has left unless they announce their departure and you see that post. I’m sure a lot of people come here for a specific question, get an answer and move on or get busy and just forget about the forum. They are always welcome to come back so they could randomly pop back in.

I haven’t tried too many so far, and I never intentionally purchased any; they all were part of destash bundles that I was buying for the other items in the bundle.

The clear bases I received have all behaved just fine; most were partially used and thus in unmarked packages. I do like the Stephenson’s GM for how it looks and feels after it hardens. Still a little “plastic” to the touch, but I find all M&P to be that way.

Back