DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please see picture below.
So I'm guessing the orange spots across the white/blue/green swirl are DOS. I have checked all my oils and none smell rancid. Also the bars still smell like the EOs I used. So I am stumped. The only new oil I used was some HO Sunflower oil, but it smells OK too; and I just got that, though maybe it got overheated when it was shipped to me.

Here is my recipe:
5% castor
20% coconut
30% lard
10% shea butter
35% HO sunflower
1% citric acid
1% honey
MB lye
Beer reduced and cooled

Rosemary, Lemongrass, Cedarwood, & Eucalyptus EOs in kaolin clay slurry.

Bottom layer has collodial oatmeal, crushed walnut shells, & pumice.

Soaped at about 100 F

Is there a way to check which oil is causing this? I bought 3 containers of the HO Sunflower, so don't want to throw it all out if it's not the culprit. Is there a way to test, like make single-oil bars of each of the oils and see what happens?
Could it be the beer? I boiled it down and then let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Measured out the amount of liquid I needed from that. It was from a local Brewery, the beer was called Urbanna Creek IPA, therefore the water theme of the soap. I've used beers from them before and had no issues.

Edit: I made this soap 3 days ago and the spots were evident when I cut it.

Suggestions please.

1000000595.jpg

Last edited:
Please see picture below.
So I'm guessing the orange spots across the white/blue/green swirl are DOS. I have checked all my oils and none smell rancid. Also the bars still smell like the EOs I used. So I am stumped. The only new oil I used was some HO Sunflower oil, but it smells OK too; and I just got that, though maybe it got overheated when it was shipped to me.

Here is my recipe:
5% castor
20% coconut
30% lard
10% shea butter
35% HO sunflower
1% citric acid
1% honey
MB lye
Beer reduced and cooled

Rosemary, Lemongrass, Cedarwood, & Eucalyptus EOs in kaolin clay slurry.

Bottom layer has collodial oatmeal, crushed walnut shells, & pumice.

Soaped at about 100 F

Is there a way to check which oil is causing this? I bought 3 containers of the HO Sunflower, so don't want to throw it all out if it's not the culprit. Is there a way to test, like make single-oil bars of each of the oils and see what happens?
Could it be the beer? I boiled it down and then let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Measured out the amount of liquid I needed from that. It was from a local Brewery, the beer was called Urbanna Creek IPA, therefore the water theme of the soap. I've used beers from them before and had no issues.

Edit: I made this soap 3 days ago and the spots were evident when I cut it.

Suggestions please.

View attachment 78548
What are the additives in the top layer (white-blue-green, the one with the orange spots)? Is it with exactly the same stuff as the bottom one, but without the oatmeal, pumice and walnut? Also, how did you add the honey in the recipe?

Since that is newly-made soap, it's almost certainly not DOS, which takes time to appear. My first guesses would be unincorporated EOs, honey, or beer.
Oh, ok. Well, I'll wait a few days and see if things change. Beer was in both layers, but the honey and the EOs were only in the top layer.

@Ekuzo
I made the layers separately, because lemongrass can accelerate a little. Looking back at my notes, I see that I only put the EO blend in the top layer and I bet that is the issue. I keep my EOs in the fridge, but some are a little elderly. I will pull those out and make a test bar with that blend in it and see what happens. May take a few days for me to get to it.
For this soap, I only put honey in the top layer. The way I add honey is as follows - I place the citric acid, honey, and some of the liquid in a microwaveable cup, warm it in the microwave and stir until the citric acid is dissolved. I add this mixture to the warmed oils and stick blend thoroughly. I have not had any issues in the past, adding honey in this manner. In this case I also then put in my EO slurry and stick blended that thoroughly. Once that cooled to my desired working temp, I stick blended one more time and then added the lye/beer mixture. Once it reached emulsion stage, I separated it, added color. Then once it reached a proper trace for swirling, I created an ITPS and poured it on top of the first layer, which by now was easily firm enough to support it.

Thanks all, for your replies. I will keep an eye on it.
I remember now that there appeared to be a little sediment at the bottom of the measuring cup that I had the beer in when I dumped what I didn't use. I did not strain the beer when I weighed out the amount of liquid I needed. Since I did the bottom layer separately and first, the likelihood of it having any of the sediment is slim. That could explain it. Lesson learned - should have strained the beer. Being locally made, it may not be strained as finely as commercial made beers (part of the charm).
I am still going to do a test bar with the EOs and see if that yields a problem.

Oh, ok. Well, I'll wait a few days and see if things change. Beer was in both layers, but the honey and the EOs were only in the top layer.

@Ekuzo
I made the layers separately, because lemongrass can accelerate a little. Looking back at my notes, I see that I only put the EO blend in the top layer and I bet that is the issue. I keep my EOs in the fridge, but some are a little elderly. I will pull those out and make a test bar with that blend in it and see what happens. May take a few days for me to get to it.
For this soap, I only put honey in the top layer. The way I add honey is as follows - I place the citric acid, honey, and some of the liquid in a microwaveable cup, warm it in the microwave and stir until the citric acid is dissolved. I add this mixture to the warmed oils and stick blend thoroughly. I have not had any issues in the past, adding honey in this manner. In this case I also then put in my EO slurry and stick blended that thoroughly. Once that cooled to my desired working temp, I stick blended one more time and then added the lye/beer mixture. Once it reached emulsion stage, I separated it, added color. Then once it reached a proper trace for swirling, I created an ITPS and poured it on top of the first layer, which by now was easily firm enough to support it.
I see. The reason I asked was because I thought of two things: first, if you added the honey at trace and didn't blend it in properly, it may have produced pockets like that - we figured out that was not the case. Second, sometimes additives in powder form don't disperse the way we want and clump a little bit ‐ and if they have something that can oxidise or react with the lye, those clumps will present similar effect - think botanicals, giving that dark orange/brown color.

Probably that's not it and the reason is either the EO or the beer (as you said), or a combination of the two. I'm sure it will turn out to be a great soap - just observe it and see how it changes down the line, the issue should be purely cosmetic, I think

Back