Does making soap smell really bad?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrytx

Reaction score
This may be a silly question - I am new to all of this and still doing research so I can try making soup. Tonight I told my husband I wanted to give it a whirl, because I am trying to find something cool to do with my daughters that could possibly earn them a little money - or at least be something neat they could make and give as gifts.

His reaction was not what I expected - I said that it smells REALLY bad! He was tired, and I didn't get a chance to find out where/when he has ever been around someone while they were making soup. However, since one of my children has mild asthma, I figured I should ask - is it hard to breath when you are making soap?

We plan on trying non-lye recipes, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I realize that perhaps the oils you chose can also make a big difference in the smell.

Any input from you experience soap makers is greatly appreciated! :D

no it doesn't smell bad. there is a bit of odor from soaping but nothing objectionable. now if you are using fragrance materials (fragrance oils or essential oils) then you can get some strong smells going on. My kids ahve asthma and those don't bother them, but everyone is different.

But - there are no 'non lye' recipes. Unless you are talking about melt & pour soap. IN which case, as with CP soap, it'll depend on the fragrance materials you work with.

Not unless you're using beer instead of water, that stuff STINKS! Lye fumes are bad enough but since you're not using it...no I doubt it should smell bad

I would recommend, if you choose to proceed with cold process soap making, to definitely not have the children in the kitchen (or wherever) while you are mixing the lye/water. And don't you breathe that in either. That can be dangerous, and it can give off "fumes". Not an offensive smell or anything like that, but it can be dangerous to the respiratory system if inhaled.
Certain oils do give of a smell when they are heated, lard especially if overheated can give of a bit of a barnyard smell. But if you heat your oils over a low low heat this can be avoided. There is a certain smell to soapmaking, even without adding any fragrances, this is because you are making a chemical reaction. I would not say it's a bad smell at all, and I am used to it.
Maybe Melt and Pour soap would be more suitable for you if you are going to have the littlies helping out.
All you need to do is buy your soap base, it can come in clear or white, Goats milk, then all you need to do is melt it down, add fragrance, colour, then mould. You could also add other botanicals like tea leaves, lavender, oats, pumice, the list is endless. Some of the work that I have seen from MP soap is amazing.
This would give you a good stepping stone into soapmaking, and it's a lot less scary, no chemicals to worry about, and the good thing is the soap is ready to use as soon as it's set.
Check out the Melt and Pour section in this forum, there are lots of MP crafters over there that will offer you some more info.

i am rather new to soap making and i have never had a smell that was stinkey except when i used milk instead of water. my kids have asthma too and i have never had them have a reaction due to soap making. thay even help me with stuff once i have taken care of the lye. they are banned from the kitchen until i have finished with it and put it away.

The only time my soap has been really stinky is if I've used milk, tea, or some other liquid in place of the water. It smells like ammonia but goes away once the soap cures a bit.

Just don't let them get around the fumes of the lye!!!

Your husband has probably smelled old fashioned soap making. It does smell different. I've made it the old fashioned way...from the ashes to using fresh lard and yes it does kinda smell. But if you are going to use the more modern techniques....like we do, then there isn't really a smell.
Even adding milk doesn't smell bad if you do it like I do....add it as trace;)

Give it a go. Let us know how you like it and post pics:)

Once you add your fragrance oil or essential oil the house smells great. Plus the curing soaps smell wonderful too.

Kitn

The lye fumes can be pretty gnarly when you first mix the water and lye. Milks and lye is even worse. It goes away pretty quickly though. Don't get your face (or the kids' faces!) close to the pot until it does it's thing. Other than that, there shouldn't be too much stink.

carebear said:
no it doesn't smell bad. there is a bit of odor from soaping but nothing objectionable. now if you are using fragrance materials (fragrance oils or essential oils) then you can get some strong smells going on. My kids ahve asthma and those don't bother them, but everyone is different.

But - there are no 'non lye' recipes. Unless you are talking about melt & pour soap. IN which case, as with CP soap, it'll depend on the fragrance materials you work with.

Ahhh - okay - I understand what you are saying here now, about no 'non lye' recipes. Thanks - I guess melt and pour isn't so much as "making soap" from scratch really.

Thanks for everyone's responses!

No, melt and pour isn't the same as making soap from scratch, but it can be very rewarding nonetheless. You can still add different things to it, and you can achieve beautiful effects and colours.
I haven't done a lot of mp, just some with my daughter, but I can see that it would become quite addictive also.

Latest posts

Back