do you list sodium hydroxide (lye)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you list sodium hydroxide (lye)

• yes

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • no

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I list everything that I put in the recipe to make the soap.

Same here with me. I want to be upfront as to what goes into each soap recipe - like a baker listing all the ingredients that goes into a cake or batch of cookies.
I saw a vendor who has listed sodium olivate as I looked on line you can’t buy it nor I haven’t in 25 yr of soap making have heard of this product can it who thru thru health Canada as an ingredient? No lye is shown on their label

I saw a vendor who has listed sodium olivate as I looked on line you can’t buy it nor I haven’t in 25 yr of soap making have heard of this product can it who thru thru health Canada as an ingredient? No lye is shown on their label
Sodium olivate is a mixture of the sodium salts of the FA's found in olive oil - which has been saponified with NaOH. The one who produced the soap chose to label the final content of the bar, once the chemical reactions have been finished, instead of showing what goes in the pot. Nothing out of the ordinary, it's just that this kind of labeling is usually not that practical for small scale soapers. Of course no lye would be on the label in that case - if there was, that soap would have been lye heavy - all the lye used has reacted and there's no trace left of it.

Just letting you know this post is 11 yrs old and the person you quoted hasn't been here in 9 yrs, so not likely to see this post to them.

I did research on sodium olivate and it’s basically the sodium hydroxide and oils after curing that is no longer active becoming sodium olivate a sneaky way to label I think that’s the jest of it

I did research on sodium olivate and it’s basically the sodium hydroxide and oils after curing that is no longer active becoming sodium olivate a sneaky way to label I think that’s the jest of it
Thank you for clarifying

There are two general ways that soapmakers use for listing ingredients:

The 'in the pot' method lists everything that went into your soap batter.

The 'out of the pot' method lists everything that is in your final product (saponified soap).

Neither way is wrong as long as your ingredients are listed in descending order according to percentages.

I personally use the 'in the pot' method because my customers don't want fancy wording. The general concensus around here (I asked people what they want to see on a label) is that fancy wording makes people think you're being less than transparent even if that's not the case at all. I do not use INCI nomenclature for my soaps for the same reason. I use INCI nomenclature for lotion and list the simplified terms in parentheses so people who really want to know don't have to Google individual ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back