Deconstructing manufactured soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was inspired by another post regarding deconstructing a manufactured soap. The ingredients are - (Olive, Sustainable Palm, Coconut), Shea Butter, Natural Fragrance, Alaskan Glacier Mineral Clay, Lichen Moss, Indigo Powder, Sea Salt. My questions are about Sea Salt and Lichen Moss. If the ingrediant list is listing in greatest to least, would Sea Salt and Lichen Moss be fragrance? The original bar says it has no grit which leads me to believe Sea Salt is a fragrance. You can buy Lichen Moss but it resembles tea leaves. You can also buy it as a fragrance.
What do you think?

They've listed fragrance already, so I doubt it is that.

My guess is they have dissolved salt in their water for hardness, hence the sea salt. I've noticed most of their bars (Dr. S) have sea salt in them.

And as for the lichen, I think it'd depend on how it was added. Wet, pureed sea moss blends up nicely with everything else and doesn't leave any 'grit' behind. I have kelp that is dried and finely ground and that doesn't have any significant 'grit' either. Neither of those are lichen, naturally, but there may be some similarities.

They've listed fragrance already, so I doubt it is that.

My guess is they have dissolved salt in their water for hardness, hence the sea salt. I've noticed most of their bars (Dr. S) have sea salt in them.

And as for the lichen, I think it'd depend on how it was added. Wet, pureed sea moss blends up nicely with everything else and doesn't leave any 'grit' behind. I have kelp that is dried and finely ground and that doesn't have any significant 'grit' either. Neither of those are lichen, naturally, but there may be some similarities.
What you say makes total sense. Thank you!! Can I assume you add kelp at a similar rate as another additives-1/2-1 teas per pound of oils?

Latest posts

Back