Critique my shave soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrayGrants

Reaction score
Screenshot (9).png
Hello all, let me know what you think of this shave soap recipe. I am going to change the lye ratio to 4:1 and will be adding 10% glycerin, 2% sorbitol and sodium citrate, and ROE. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!

Looks pretty good to me. The only thing I would say is that ROE is normally added to oils when you initially buy them, to ward off oxidation during storage. I'm not sure if the antioxidant qualities remain once you add those oils to lye solution.

Let us know how it turns out!

The only thing I would say is that ROE is normally added to oils when you initially buy them, to ward off oxidation during storage. I'm not sure if the antioxidant qualities remain once you add those oils to lye solution.
I have heard of it being done both ways, as far as adding ROE for storage and to batches, and I agree with you that using it for storage does make more sense. I will say though that I used to get DOS quite often before I started adding it to batches. I will use it for storage in the future. Thanks!!!

Anyone else care to weigh in on the recipe?

I've also heard people use ROE in batches, but I can't say whether or not it's less effective that way. The recipe looks fine to me, I'm curious about your assessment after you make it, I hope you will share. Just to make sure, that's HP, right?

I've also heard people use ROE in batches, but I can't say whether or not it's less effective that way. The recipe looks fine to me, I'm curious about your assessment after you make it, I hope you will share. Just to make sure, that's HP, right?
I was probably going to make it in a pot while the oils and lye solution are quite warm, between 140-160F. Kind of a hot cold process.

I was probably going to make it in a pot while the oils and lye solution are quite warm, between 140-160F. Kind of a hot cold process.
Oh, there are some processes that blend hp/cp to different degree - as long as you use enough water and the stearic acid doesn't give you trouble, it should be fine. Of course, someone with experience with those mixed processes may shed more light

This is how I make my shave soap. Reason being, you don't want to add heat once you have combined the hot lye and oils, or you will have an "expansion" aka volcano on your hands. As it is, you want to add the lye solution slowly while stirring. Stop as needed if the expansion gets to the point you are uncomfortable. Just stir it down. When it stays down, then add more lye solution slowly until it is all added.

Latest posts

Back