Cream Soap Yahoo group from over a decade ago

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candeelion

Reaction score
I decided to start soaping again and when I pulled out my recipes I have some cream soap that uses both lye from 2012! I have the name for the person that invented the calculator and was basically the creator of cream soap and I'm hoping they're on this forum. I've done a Google search on their name and the calculator and didn't find anything. I'm hoping maybe somebody else remembers. Anyhow I'm excited to get back into soaping again.

Welcome back to soaping and welcome to SMF. :)

When I hear about the old Yahoo soaping group, and The Dish, it makes me wish I had found them in my early soaping days. It sounded like they were such great sources of knowledge - better than all the mommy blogs that I relied upon (sometimes successfully, other times, not so much). My understanding is that those sites are long gone. So sad!

I decided to start soaping again and when I pulled out my recipes I have some cream soap that uses both lye from 2012! I have the name for the person that invented the calculator and was basically the creator of cream soap and I'm hoping they're on this forum. I've done a Google search on their name and the calculator and didn't find anything. I'm hoping maybe somebody else remembers. Anyhow I'm excited to get back into soaping again.

Cream soap is discussed in soap making manuals published in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Possibly even earlier, but I didn't spend a lot of time researching the timeline. So cream soap is not a recent invention.

It's possible the person you're thinking of helped to make it more popular with modern-day handcrafted soap makers, just as Catherine Failor did for liquid soap. But neither person was the inventor of these types of soap.

I have a cream soap c@lculator by a Kathleen Koch, copyrighted 2004-2012. I don't know if that's the one you're thinking of or not.

Cream soap is discussed in soap making manuals published in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Possibly even earlier, but I didn't spend a lot of time researching the timeline. So cream soap is not a recent invention.

It's possible the person you're thinking of helped to make it more popular with modern-day handcrafted soap makers, just as Catherine Failor did for liquid soap. But neither person was the inventor of these types of soap.

I have a cream soap c@lculator by a Kathleen Koch, copyrighted 2004-2012. I don't know if that's the one you're thinking of or not.
Yes that calculator is exactly what I was referencing. i never much got into the history of cream soap prior to being in that group. I suppose it was silly to call her the inventor of it, sorry about my miscommunication. Is the calculator still accessible? I have all the recipes that printed from back then but do not recall how I accessed the calculator. I suppose even if it isn't the knowledge is out there ..or here. I haven't had the opportunity to dig around yet.

Welcome back to soaping and welcome to SMF. :)

When I hear about the old Yahoo soaping group, and The Dish, it makes me wish I had found them in my early soaping days. It sounded like they were such great sources of knowledge - better than all the mommy blogs that I relied upon (sometimes successfully, other times, not so much). My understanding is that those sites are long gone. So sad!
Thank you for the welcome. I'm happy to be here and delving back into soap. Yahoo groups got deleted in 2020 and I'm pretty sure the group access was denied long before then. Things aren't always forever on the internet despite the common warning. At least I have my old recipes and can give them a go again.

I don't know if the calculator is still available online -- maybe the Wayback Machine could be used to find it. It would never have been used as an online app like Soapcalc is used, because it's an Excel spreadsheet. You would have downloaded it and used it on your local computer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back