Cost of everything - but let’s chat about Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don’t use a ton of lye, but even on my subscribe and save Amazon for 2lb bottles of Essential Depot Lye, it’s up almost $10 per bottle and is now $30.57. I ended up buying a 10lb jug, which was a much better deal at $49.97, but darn that is a lot of lye.
I see 16 - 2lb bottles for $69.97, but then there is a shipping charge of $59, so it’s really not cheap after all - and that a boatload of lye for me, anyways. So, where are you getting your lye, and are you finding it cheaper than $0.41/oz?

I also purchased a Gamma lid for my secondary bucket after reading and watching @DeeAnna talk about a dry bucket to store lye, and with 10 lbs, I don’t want to risk compromising it. DeeAnna, would these work as the desiccant? I have a brand new box of them in the closet.
IMG_5200.png

I usually get 2lbs for $13 at Cierra Candle and Soap Supplies but I can pick up in person so I don’t have to pay shipping on it.

I did buy the 16 2lb bottles of Essential Depot on Amazon though, even with the shipping it’s still much cheaper per oz.

Wow you Americans pay a lot for your lye! Mine is a little more than @Relle's (and it's from Aussie), but nowhere near as much as the US price. I buy it in 500g tubs (about a pound to you) and it's $NZ9 - approx $US5.50. I just buy it from the hardware store.

ETA: It's dearer to buy from my soap supplier and I have to pay extra for shipping hazardous goods.

I'm still buying mine in 2lb jars https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089W3XPLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 A little more than what you paid @dmcgee5034 but worth it to me to have the smaller containers. I notice the last batch from each bottle always winds up having lye lint, which must be from the bits of moisture pulled in from repeated opening of the jar. My storage & curing area is climate-controlled, but my soaping area is not.

I still haven't recovered from freaking out about the price of cocoa butter.o_O

... @DeeAnna talk about a dry bucket to store lye.... DeeAnna, would these work as the desiccant?
View attachment 77930
This would work, no problem. Just be sure to change it out when it absorbs all the water it can absorb. In a "dry bucket" that should take awhile.

I use silica desiccant beads, which I like because there's no liquid to worry about spilling. I recharge the beads after they change color by drying them in my oven -- probably do this 1-2 times a year.

I also buy my lye via Amazon from Duda Energy, but in smaller containers. I masterbatch two Red Hot Devil Lye bottles at a time with distilled water, 1:1. If you were looking at the 2 pound bottles, like I order, check the math on the per ounce cost. Someone messed up. It’s time to order another 10 pounds, and I appreciate the free shipping.

I also buy my lye via Amazon from Duda Energy, but in smaller containers. I masterbatch two Red Hot Devil Lye bottles at a time with distilled water, 1:1. If you were looking at the 2 pound bottles, like I order, check the math on the per ounce cost. Someone messed up. It’s time to order another 10 pounds, and I appreciate the free shipping.
It says it’s $22.71 for a two pound bottle, which is very high. Was it different?

The last time I bought was from The Lye Guy. I like the smaller containers so I don't need to transfer it. Sometimes with other brands static can be an issue, causing the beads to fly everywhere, but there was no static in The Lye Guy bottles.

On this topic of lye, do you guys get your lye in beads or flakes? I've always used beads since the flakes option was more expensive. But I realised beads tend to static stick on my jars and I don't know if flakes do that.

You can also try rubbing a piece of aluminum foil all over the bottle, making sure of course to have NO contact with any lye.

As someone who can’t use dryer sheets due to allergies, this works perfectly for me. Others report no effect for them, so YMMV.
Thank you @AliOop. I was thinking this wasn’t an option as dryer sheets are also a no for me. I will be trying the foil idea.

Back