Core recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlawson

Reaction score
First time soap maker here. Looking to try make my own soap. There are so many core recipes out there. Just looking for a solid recipe to start with. Adding color and fragrance and other things can be played with easily. I want somthing great for your skin with a decent lather but a solid soap that’s going to hold up for a bit !

Thanks

This recipe comes from a member here named @AliOop
Of course put it into soapcalc.net with the specific oils and fats you decide to use. It’s my absolute favorite.
45% lard, tallow, or blend of the two
20% soft oil of choice
20% CO, PKO, or blend
10% butter (cocoa, shea)
5% castor

Oh and another one also very good.
From a former member (zany.) These are her remarks and her recipe:
“Try the Basic Trinity of Oils recipe with those oils. With an INS Value around 157, it's almost "perfect". Once you master it you can sub one oil for another and tweak it to your preferences. This is one recipe you will want to keep on hand for all types of skin. It is the formula used in popular handcrafted soaps, like Dr. Squatch, that you can buy online. “
OO 35% + 5% Castor
CO 25%
SHEA 35%

This recipe comes from a member here named @AliOop
Of course put it into soapcalc.net with the specific oils and fats you decide to use. It’s my absolute favorite.
45% lard, tallow, or blend of the two
20% soft oil of choice
20% CO, PKO, or blend
10% butter (cocoa, shea)
5% castor
Thanks but can you simplify some of the ingredients. What would coconut oil or olive oil fall under ? I’ve found one recipe that looked solid
8 once palm oil
8 once coconut oil
8 once olive oil
1 once castor oil
Seems like a pretty small batch tho May needed doubled

Thanks but can you simplify some of the ingredients. What would coconut oil or olive oil fall under ? I’ve found one recipe that looked solid
8 once palm oil
8 once coconut oil
8 once olive oil
1 once castor oil

Sorry, soap recipes are usually in percentages. Then, you go to a soap calculator (there are several to choose from), enter the percentages, and the size of the batch you want to make. Then, it spits out the recipe for you in grams or ounces. It is important to use a calculator, even if you find or are given a recipe with amounts in case there is a typo. That way, you are much less likely to have a dangerous, lye-heavy batch.

A good size batch for beginners is 16 ounces or about 450 grams. After nearly 10 years as a hobby soaper, I still prefer this size.

8 once palm oil
8 once coconut oil
8 once olive oil
1 once castor oil
Palm and coconut are solid oils at room temperature, olive and castor are liquid at room temperature. Your best to try small batches while learning, but don't just double it, you have to put it into a calculator to up size. Changing it to grams will be a little more accurate.

Latest posts

Back