Coffee Fragrance Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made CP soap and used Fresh Brewed Coffee FO by Nature’s Garden and added unsweetened cocoa powder as a colorant. The scent ended up with a weird undertone of what I can describe only as “chemical”. I used the recommended medium scent percentage. Has anyone else had this experience? What are your proven good coffee fragrance oils (I know that scent is notoriously had to get right)?

I made CP soap and used Fresh Brewed Coffee FO by Nature’s Garden and added unsweetened cocoa powder as a colorant. The scent ended up with a weird undertone of what I can describe only as “chemical”. I used the recommended medium scent percentage. Has anyone else had this experience? What are your proven good coffee fragrance oils (I know that scent is notoriously had to get right)?
I made mocha soap again with the Fresh Brewed Coffee FO, but also added about a third of the total of Caramel Latte and Hazelnut FO by Makesy (had some to use up). It smells fantastic!

I have 4 different coffee FO's- Crafter's Choice, Rustic Escentuals, MYOB, and Eeque. They all are really SWEET smelling, more like really sweet chocolate, less like coffee. Too sweet for my taste. So, I'm wondering if the coffee FO's others like are sweet or if they smell like fresh brewed without sugar (I do like sweetner in my coffee, I guess I just don't like the smell of really sweet coffee.)

I have 4 different coffee FO's- Crafter's Choice, Rustic Escentuals, MYOB, and Eeque. They all are really SWEET smelling, more like really sweet chocolate, less like coffee. Too sweet for my taste. So, I'm wondering if the coffee FO's others like are sweet or if they smell like fresh brewed without sugar (I do like sweetner in my coffee, I guess I just don't like the smell of really sweet coffee.)
For a straight up coffee fragrance, I like BB Espresso. I tried a few, and did not care for extra sugar/chocolate/hazelnut notes in many of them.

I really like BB Dark Roast Coffee. I have also used their Cafe Latte and Espresso. My friends and family seemed to prefer the dark roast coffee also. BB often has sample sales where you can get a discount on multiple sample size bottles. I have found these FOs will stick and stay true.

I have to provide a qualifier though, I can’t be around most fragrances without developing a headache. All of these are in that category. All soap is cured in our shop which is not attached to the house.

Here's another vote for BB Espresso. I like BB Cafe Latte as well — and it doesn't discolor to dark brown! — but I'm not sure it will last the way Espresso does. I recently found an Espresso bar from more than 3 years ago and it is still fragrant. I have a sample of BB Dark Roast Coffee but haven't tried it in soap, maybe because of the hazelnut note (as popular as hazelnut flavor/aroma is in coffee and chocolate, I cannot abide it in anything). I can see it appealing to nut-lovers, though!

Also, I have a sample of Midwest Fragrance's Espresso FO which gets mostly excellent reviews. The scent notes are different from the BB version. I need to try it in a small CP batch to see how it's affected by the lye monster.
[<sigh> so many fragrances, so little time!]

Back