CocoNOT

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandraruba

Reaction score
Hi, I tried my hand at a soap without Coconut oil (since some people are allergic to it), I figured I could call it CocoNOT.

It is curing quite nicely I must say and getting harder. I used:
50% Olive
22% Almond oil
16% Soy Bean oil
7% Grapeseed oil
5% Castor oil.

In a few days I'll have my shea butter. Would it be a good idea to add some shea butter to the recipe?
Any other thoughts on the recipe? I don't want to use tallow and animal fats in my soaps.

I think that by adding the almond, you just made it appeal to fewer people than before.

Few are sensitive to coconut, LOTS are allergic to nuts.

Babassu or PKO can replace coconut oil for lather. But I would not completely disregard coconut oil for soaping. It makes lovely lather and the right amount makes a wonderful moisturizing soap. Most people are able to use a good coconut oil soap. So you could make both.

I have a friend who, oddly enough, is allergic to "tree nuts," and discovered that a great many people are. So, if you're making a soap trying to please more allergy-prone people, I would omit the almond oil. I personally LOVE grapeseed oil in soaps. So, I like what you have there.

However, since you have a relatively high percentage there (and it's been said that those kinds of oils are prone to DOS, I would suggest replacing it. Definitely add the shea butter. But, I wouldn't add the whole 22% of it.

I have another good friend who is so allergic to peanuts, that she can't even smell it in the room, or on your breath, or she'll stop breathing and break out in hives. So, yeah. . .

Good luck on finding something else to add.

I agree about definitely putting shea in. Or some other type of butter you find pleasing. :)

Babassu or PKO can replace coconut oil for lather. But I would not completely disregard coconut oil for soaping. It makes lovely lather and the right amount makes a wonderful moisturizing soap. Most people are able to use a good coconut oil soap. So you could make both.

Oh definitely. I have an aloe and cucumber soap that both have coconut oil in it. As far as the Babassu, I've never seen it here, doubt I will be able to get it. Perhaps Rice Bran oil? I have seen that around. Sunflower oil?

I agree about definitely putting shea in. Or some other type of butter you find pleasing
How about Mango butter? Then replace the almond with part mango/part shea.

I like the Mango Butter suggestion. Didn't I recently read somewhere that this is an excellent butter to use? In fact I have plans on looking into buying some soon.

You're never going to make one bar of soap that appeals to everyone. People with latex allergies may be sensitive to shea. Also, people that are allergic to tree nuts can be sensitive to mango (my friends son is allergic to nuts and reacts to mango as well, because they are somehow related). I did however make a soap with olive, cocoa butter and some castor oil..I haven't tested it yet, but it's a really hard bar! It needs a few weeks still to see what it's like.

Latest posts

Back