Cocoa Butter Sticker Shock!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My original recipe is %50 tallow, %20 cocoa butter, %20 beeswax, %10 jojoba, and I'm not liking any of my new experiments nearly as much. I may just have to bite the bullet and use cocoa butter.
I keep trying to talk myself into palm kernel flakes, but I just can't.

Has anyone tried Sal (Shorea) butter in lieu of cocoa butter? It's on sale right now at WSP at just under $6/lb if you buy 5lbs. I haven't tried it, but from what I read, it is similar in hardness to cocoa butter. Here is how they describe it:

Shorea/Sal Butter is considered to have high levels of uniform triglycerides which are thought help with oxidation and stability in formulations. Most popular in lotion bars due to the high levels of stearic and oleic fatty acids. Shorea Butter can be used in silky body butters, lotion bars, lip balms and more!

Has anyone tried Sal (Shorea) butter in lieu of cocoa butter? It's on sale right now at WSP at just under $6/lb if you buy 5lbs. I haven't tried it, but from what I read, it is similar in hardness to cocoa butter. Here is how they describe it:

Shorea/Sal Butter is considered to have high levels of uniform triglycerides which are thought help with oxidation and stability in formulations. Most popular in lotion bars due to the high levels of stearic and oleic fatty acids. Shorea Butter can be used in silky body butters, lotion bars, lip balms and more!
I've not tried it yet, but Jedwards has it on sale too. When I read the description it made me think of shea butter

I've not tried it yet, but Jedwards has it on sale too. When I read the description it made me think of shea butter
I was reading through WSP's Q&A on Sal Butter, and one of responses indicated that it was similar in hardness to cocoa butter. I would love to hear from anyone who can confirm or deny. Otherwise, I might have to buy some. You know, for scientific research that can be shared with others. ;)

This seller has been a good source for me for cocoa butter and the best price I've found even with some sales going on: https://www.etsy.com/listing/669251...atural?ref=yr_purchases&variation0=1023498320

This isn't the most recent story, but its a good write up of what happened:
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/10/business/cocoa-prices-chocolate.html

Analysts are predicting Cocoa butter prices to stabilize as we go into the end of the year and then possibly start to slide back down next year. But that's just a prediction from the wall street types.

I've been experimenting with Sal butter. It's nice, but it's not a replacement, in my opinion. It does not have the same feel to me in the finished product. I'll be trying it in soap soon.

I've been experimenting with Sal butter. It's nice, but it's not a replacement, in my opinion. It does not have the same feel to me in the finished product. I'll be trying it in soap soon.
Thank you for that information! May I ask, in which products have you tried it? Can you comment on how it compares with the hardness of cocoa butter (less, more?), and describe the difference in feel? Thanks!!

I've used it in lip butter and solid lotion bars. I've tried it as a replacement for CB to no avail. It doesn't have the same wonderful combination of quick-melting silkiness and hardness. I've found that Sal is more on par with Shea Butter rather than CB. Its harder than Shea at room temp, more like mango butter.

CB just has such unique properties.

Where it does have merit, in my products anyhow, is a compliment to CB in lip butter. I'm finding similar properties as shea (but not as deeply moisturizing feeling) without AS MUCH graininess. My sal lip butter — when kept in a car, in your pocket, where it warms and cools frequently — still gets grainy after time, but not as much as shea. But, my lip butter with only sal, no CB, is sticky and grippy and not as firm and silky feeling.

I'll just keep hoarding CB for now, though its seriously cutting into the wine budget :( 🍷 ;)

Last edited:
Fantastic info, thank you! 😘 Saved me from cutting into my budget... er, um, well, who am I kidding about budgets. Those are for other people in the house, right? ;)

Back