Castile Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsSharLee

Reaction score
I searched the forum but didn't see any topic for my question, so. if this topic has been addressed I apologize ...

I made Castile soap and I love it. I did mine ITMHP process about a month ago and it is hard as a brick. I am wondering if I make Castile and use Goats Milk ... is it still Castile?

From what I've read true Castile is 100% OO so I wasn't sure it if the goats milk changes that. I don't want to put Castile on the label if it's not a true castile ...

There is no standard of identity in the US for castile soaps - so legally no issues Ethically, I think as long as you label it clearly that there is milk in it, you are still A-OK.

Dr Bronner's castile is simply vegetable oil soap - their definition of castile is just no animal fats.

Go figure.

carebear said:
There is no standard of identity in the US for castile soaps - so legally no issues Ethically, I think as long as you label it clearly that there is milk in it, you are still A-OK.

Dr Bronner's castile is simply vegetable oil soap - their definition of castile is just no animal fats.

Go figure.

Yeah, I was wondering about Dr. Bronners - I LOVE it but at the same time, its confusing because most people DO think of castile as 100% OO, but Dr. Bronners has coconut oil. But I agree, if you label it as "Goats Milk Castile" I think thats fine.

by adding goats milk - wouldint that technically make it a Bastille? because of the animal products?

mkbaber said:
by adding goats milk - wouldint that technically make it a Bastille? because of the animal products?

Hmmm first I've heard of Bastille ... I'll have to google and see. I definitely don't want to be misleading!

It's a word game....

I am unsure of the etymology - some have said it is from the French Tradition of soapmaking where they use MOSTLY Olive Oil, but not 100%... others have intimated it is a munged word from "Bastardized+Castile"

In general though, Bastile is a slang term that means "a Mostly Olive Oil soap that isn't 100% nothing but OO, Lye and Water". A good soap nonethless, and still likely to be gentle.

From my research I discovered that in general castile is 100% OO, but more importantly it must not contain animal fats. Therefore a soap containing milk from an animal can not be castile soap.

I'm guessing a lot of the stuff done these days, depends on the way it's labelled.

Dragonkaz said:
From my research I discovered that in general castile is 100% OO, but more importantly it must not contain animal fats. Therefore a soap containing milk from an animal can not be castile soap.

I'm guessing a lot of the stuff done these days, depends on the way it's labelled.

Well, the way I see it...castile is just 100% OO, without regard to what liquid is being used. So 100% olive oil with goat's milk still makes it castile.

IMO, castille is 100% OO - no other oils added. If you add milk as part of the water, then it's still castille. Bastille happens when any other oil gets added.... just how I see it.

Aside from it no longer being a Vegan product at that point (Many Vegans look for "Castile" on the label), does goat's milk not have any kind of butterfat? Or when people say "animal fat" do they actually mean fats from animal adipose tissue, like tallow or lard?

Castile or Bastile.....this is just my 2 cents, but if you live and sell in the US it really doesn't matter as far as the law is concerned, and maybe not even as far as many of one's customers is concerned either, unless they are educated on the subject and know the difference. This is especially true here in the US because we've all grown up with popular mass distributed soaps like Kirk's Castile which has never been 100% OO, or Dr. Bronner's which is also not 100% OO.

Kirk's (which has since been bought out by Proctor & Gamble) was actually slapped with a 'cease & desist' order back in the 1920's over this issue, and in the course of doing an amateur, arm-chair investigation of the matter on the web a few years ago, I found out that in the 1930's the 'cease & desist' order was cancelled and Kirk's was allowed to continue labeling their soap as Castile even though it wasn't 100% OO. Y'all can read about my amateur investigation here along with the FTC government links related to the case:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... ight=kirks

Anyway, if you live and sell only in the US, it's a personal call since you're not actually breaking any written laws and the government won't come after you. Truly (at least here in the US), the worst you'll probably do by labeling a bastardized Castile as Castile is invoke the ire and disdain of many in the handmade soapmaking community. I'll still accept you though. :wink:

'Bastile', as Carebear pointed out, isn't even a real term in regards to soap anyway. It was made up by a fellow soaper over at the SoapDish forum some years back as a joke to mean 'Bastardized Castile'. We all had a good laugh about it, but the name stuck and now everyone thinks it's a real term when it's not. :lol:

I agree with AmyW. I would still consider (in my own book) a soap made with 100% OO and 100% goat milk as a Castile, although you could always call it a Baa-stile to be funny. :wink: But the only people who would probably get the joke would be handmade soapmakers, and of those, only the handmade soapers who understand the 'Bastile' joke to begin with. Customers might look at you with a 'deer caught in the headlights' look.

IrishLass :)

[/quote]you could always call it a Baa-stile to be funny. IrishLass :)[/quote]

LOL, that's a good one!

Baa-stile ... I love it Irish Lass. I might just do that ...

Thanks everyone for your input.

sarawithouth said:
Dragonkaz said:

Well, the way I see it...castile is just 100% OO, without regard to what liquid is being used. So 100% olive oil with goat's milk still makes it castile.

I had never thought of this. But I've added aloe vera to my Castile and never thought that would make it less Castile. Kirk's calls their coconut oil soap Castile though, too. And I had not heard of any coconut crops in Spain and or it used until later on in soapmaking history.

Just my two cents...not right or wrong.

Castile is 100% olive oil soap made with olive oil, lye and water.

To me a soap made with milk is not castile. Milk does contain fat (yes...super small amount) but fat none the less. This makes it not 100% olive oil. Just my opinion.

I think also (thanks to dr bronner) that people have come to accept that castile = vegan soap. So I wouldn't label a 100% olive oil soap made with milk as a castile.

That's just how I see it. Like I said...not right or wrong. Do what you're comfortable with.

I guess I have enough other options of soap to add the goats milk to w/o messing with Castile. I don't want to run off any Vegans or other shoppers that are looking for all Veggie product.

I made a batch about six weeks ago. I decided to cut an end of a bar to try this morning. No need to ever make any other kind of soap. Absolutely to die for, even if I did make it myself :D AND NO SLIME!!

Back