Camel hump fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saponification value, 202.3 mg KOH/g oil This is the saponification value and is similar to beef tallow
I am very excited to make camel hump soap and I will keep it simple without camel milk so that I can tell the difference..and I will definitely share the experience with you
Thank you very much guys, I'm so grateful🤝🏻
I just noticed this is potassium hydroxide

Divide the KOH sap value by 1.403 to get the NaOH sap value.

NaOH sap value = 202.3 / 1.403 = 144.2 mg NaOH / g fat

And vice versa: Multiply the NaOH sap value by 1.403 to get the KOH sap value.

The key to remember is each batch of soap requires a specific number of alkali molecules, whether they be KOH molecules, NaOH molecules, or a combination of both.

Because each KOH molecule weighs 1.403 times more than an NaOH molecule, a soaper must allow for that weight difference so the batch gets the correct number of alkali molecules to make good soap.

Last edited:
Divide the KOH sap value by 1.403 to get the NaOH sap value.

NaOH sap value = 202.3 / 1.403 = 144.2 mg NaOH / g fat

And vice versa: Multiply the NaOH sap value by 1.403 to get the KOH sap value.

The key to remember is each batch of soap requires a specific number of alkali molecules, whether they be KOH molecules, NaOH molecules, or a combination of both.

Because each KOH molecule weighs 1.403 times more than an NaOH molecule, a soaper must allow for that weight difference so the batch gets the correct number of alkali molecules to make good soap.
Thank you very much
great information

@ScentimentallyYours - here's an idea for your next descent into the rabbit hold; buffalo fat. I bought a bar made from 100% buffalo tallow and I think it's the single most perfect single oil for soap.
Not sure if you’re helpful or evil, @lenarenee for suggesting Buffalo fat. Because of course I had to go look it up. 😁 Bison Tallow is available from Amazon, and with free prime shipping it cost a few dollars less than ordering directly from the manufacturer. Amazon lists a number of products made with bison tallow.
IMG_5871.jpeg

Fatworks lists retail outlets that carry their Bison Tallow all over the USA, plus a few that are overseas. I got very excited to find out that it lists a store in Concord that is not too far from me, but unfortunately, they don’t have it in stock. 🙁

Gonna order some camel and bison tallow for next week.

IMG_5872.jpeg

Last edited:
I have used it here in Australia for a camel company for their soap and you can use it also in body butters and balms including lip balms. It can stink I have to warn you.
Oh my gosh, my biggest fear is that it will have a bad smell after curing 🥲Yes, it is true that women used it in the past to nourish their hair and for some skin problems, and it is mainly intended for eating

Oh my gosh, my biggest fear is that it will have a bad smell after curing 🥲Yes, it is true that women used it in the past to nourish their hair and for some skin problems, and it is mainly intended for eating
Ok this is going to sound dumb but... you can eat it? I don't even like eating fat from cows, chickens and pigs...

Did anyone find my postings about the sap value I used? I used to make a lot of camel tallow soap, but I am at my new house for a couple more days without my computer. I do know I made more than one posting about it a few years ago.

ETA: the sap value I used for the Camel fat I used was the same as for carrot seed oil, cold pressed, I also used Camels milk in them with 2% superfat. They turned out beautiful no dogs. In fact I still have some that are 4-5 yrs old now. NaOH Sap 0.120 is what I found after a lot of research. KOH 0.168

Last edited:
Ok this is going to sound dumb but... you can eat it? I don't even like eating fat from cows, chickens and pigs...
Yes
I'm not a vegetarian and I eat meat and I like cooking with animal fat, but I definitely don't want to smell like animal fat.

Did anyone find my postings about the sap value I used? I used to make a lot of camel tallow soap, but I am at my new house for a couple more days without my computer. I do know I made more than one posting about it a few years ago.

ETA: the sap value I used for the Camel fat I used was the same as for carrot seed oil, cold pressed, I also used Camels milk in them with 2% superfat. They turned out beautiful no dogs. In fact I still have some that are 4-5 yrs old now. NaOH Sap 0.120 is what I found after a lot of research. KOH 0.168

I definitely read it and it helped me a lot Thank you very much

Back