Black Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to make REALLY black soap for my grand babies at Halloween.
Last year I tried a liquid colorant that turned out looking like dark
green mold. It passed as it was kind of "goulish" looking,
but this year I need black.
I know it can be done..Zum Bar has black soap.
Does anyone know a good colorant to use with CP soap?

Thanks

You can try black oxide, which I hate, because it's a pain to clean lol. Black mica or charcoal which I love!

Charcoal, nice black, with white lather.
4401530967_b27cf6fcc2_m.jpg

Wow!

I was really on the wrong track!

Deda, your soap is just beautiful. I'm thinking that when I'm done with
this Halloween project, black bars might be great for my husband and male relatives.

Thanks to all of you for the ideas. You have no idea how nice it is for a newbie to have all this info. at her fingertips. Then, perhaps you do!

Zum Bar, watch out!!!

Donna

Donna said:
Wow!

I was really on the wrong track!

Deda, your soap is just beautiful. I'm thinking that when I'm done with
this Halloween project, black bars might be great for my husband and male relatives.

Thanks to all of you for the ideas. You have no idea how nice it is for a newbie to have all this info. at her fingertips. Then, perhaps you do!

Zum Bar, watch out!!!

Donna

lol **** right! lets kill the zum baaar that overpriced crizaaap

dagmar88 said:
charcoal would be best as it doesn't really discolor the lather.

What's wrong with discolored lather? Does it mean the colorant is going to the skin? I'm asking this because I think it would make a neat "novelty soap" if you could get a nice dark colored lather, bonus points if you can somehow make it different color from the soap.

Hertzyscowicz said:
dagmar88 said:
charcoal would be best as it doesn't really discolor the lather.

What's wrong with discolored lather? Does it mean the colorant is going to the skin? I'm asking this because I think it would make a neat "novelty soap" if you could get a nice dark colored lather, bonus points if you can somehow make it different color from the soap.

It will stain wash cloths and some people don't care for that.

I had to admit, when I saw "charcoal" I pictured grinding up some grill briquetts in the food processor... :lol:

how much charcoal do you put in? Just to your color taste-I just can't picture putting the charcoal in-I would be terrified of "powder" all over my stove and self (and how does one clean THAT up?) I definitely think this would be fun for Halloween.

Hmmm...not sure where to buy that-gonna have to check (oh shoot, now I have to shop....;) )

BjBj:

I got mine from Soap Making Resources, however next time I will buy it from abnat.com.

I believe SMR recommends 1 TBLSP. per lb of your oils.

I haven't received it yet, but am anxious to try.

As far as the mess, when I make soap or cook, my kitchen looks like it's been strafed. No matter, it all cleans up in the end and it's worth it!

Hahaha-I just envisioned it to be like flour when you turn the mixer on too fast.....POOF!!! Although, maybe near Halloween everybody would just acept that!!!

I found another thread-about the charcoal-but I do not want to grind it up even further. Will check out the places you mentioned.

Thanks!!

1 TBSP is way too much. My batches are around 8 lbs, I use about 1 TBSP, total.

Deda,

Thank you! Glad you posted the amount you use BEFORE the charcoal
arrived.

I wonder why SMR recommends so much.

I plan on making 4 lbs., so I'll use 1 1/2 teaspoons.

Can't wait to try it.

donna

Back