Been getting this transparent line around different colors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadicSoaps

Reaction score
When I make soaps with colors that are quite different, for the last few batches, anyway, I have started to get what appears to be a glycerine line between the colors. At first, I figured maybe it was a temperature difference thing, but the layers are usually within 5 degrees of each other when I pour the batters. I soap with my oils and lye between 100-108. I master batch my oils and then slowly heat them to 160 on the stove and let them cool down to help with the palm oil. (I still have some stearic spots on this batch, but that's for another time.)

I premix my micas into warm oil before adding them to the batter. I hand mix colors in then finish with a stick blender.
My recipe for 80oz oils is:
25% 76deg CO
25% Palm
40% OO
5% Sweet Almond
5% Castor
27% lye concentration at 320.69g
33% water (at 5% discount)
2.6oz FO

Temp at pour was exactly 100F.

This happens the most frequently between my greens. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

IMG_6628.jpg

This thread might give you some information. I don't know if anyone has figured out what causes that effect, but I still lean toward a difference in temperature. Did you let your first layer set up before pouring the second layer? That could account for a difference in temperature. I do like the effect when it happens, though.

What colors of green mica are you using? I used a bright green NS mica swirled with dark green NS in soap scented with Eucalyptus Mint and ended up with multi-color greens similar to your pic. I believe it was some characteristic inherent in the two micas that caused the unusual divergence in green shades. Loved the effect and want to try it again.

Back