Anyone ever do this???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
I feel like a complete idiot and can't believe I did this. I made a 5LB batch of soap today, after running my recipe through soap calc. I will admit that the numbers did seem a bit high to me, but I didn't really give it a second thought because it had been a while since I made a 5lb batch.

When I was pouring the soap batter into the mold, I quickly realized that I had wayyy more soap than 5lbs. I had enough batter left over to fill another 2lb mold. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong and started looking over my numbers again...I was afraid I measured wrong somewhere and the whole batch would be ruined.

And then I found my error. I entered 80oz for total OIL weight, thinking it was the total weight of the entire batch! Ughh...how dumb. I hope my FO sticks, because it was measured out for a 5lb batch. And I REALLY hope I like the final result, since I now have 7 pounds of it!! :crazy:

Don't feel bad. I think most, if not all of us have had soap mishaps. I felt stupid after I put my lavender and orange essential oil blend in a plastic cup:thumbdown::thumbdown: I knew better then that :rolleyes: Anyhow, when it came time to mix it in my soap I lifted up the cup and the whole bottom had been eaten off by the orange oil! I lost about 4 oz of essential oil off that stupidity- argggghhhh! At least your mistake was productive :)
Cheers!
Anna Marie

It's not just orange it can happen with other EOs too. As a rule you always want to use glass or stainless (I'm sure there is non reactive plastics but I am too lazy to look it up).

i did that once as well, thank the Lord i HAVE to drink soy, i used an emptied (And quickly washed out i might add) half gallon container.... :)

I've also found out the hard way that essential oils will eat through a plastic cup. Have to say learning that way makes it difficult to forget. I think my worst soap nightmare was when I bumped the scale and changed the setting from ounces to grams and didn't realize it right away. I had to calculate the lye to fit the new weights, and it was a real pain.

I thought of you last night. I put my numbers into soapcslc and accidentally put it in lbs and not oz. a 27 lb batch! Thank god I looked at the lye and it said like 3 lb of lye and I was like " whaaaaat??" Hahaha

Latest posts

Back