amonia smell?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdmama

Reaction score
Is this normal? I made my first batch of CP soap last week and I tested a small piece and I get a faint smell of ammonia.

ETA: I did NOT use any GM in my soap, just Olive, Canola & Coconut oils, cranberry FO and oatmeal

Give it time - that scent will dissipate over time. Remember you really do need to let them sit for at least 4 weeks.... I don't think you really need to worry about it as long as it is passing the zap test....

When did you make the soap? Your post said 'last week'.

I had some cheap FOs several years ago, little tiny 1 oz bottles. I soaped them in small batches and the ammonia smell was el-yucko. It faded after a few days but never went away.

I guess what I'm saying that if the smell hasn't faded with 5 or 6 days it probably won't.

I had that happen with a batch of soap.....it went away after cure, but until then, it had this horrible permanent wave solution smell to it. Lovely soap now. :)

I agree with the others and say give it time!

I had a wine FO that reeked of vinagear but once the soap cured, its one of the best smelling soaps I've made. Give it some time!

Latest posts

Back