Alkanet root experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The purples are mellowing quickly...
1000026548.jpg

Comparison between the first and second (second is on the bottom)...
1000026549.jpg

I'm liking the 3.5% more and more. It's got a pink/mauve things going on around the gel'd edge too

So, I wanted to see just how purple I could get ZNSCS (Zany's no slime castile soap) as well as how it turn out if I used sea water aquarium salt water as well as how 3 different fragrance oils would perform at 5% usage rate.

I infused 1.46oz of Alkanet root powder into 15 ounces of olive oil using an Anova sous vide machine programmed from 150°F for 2 hours.

Mixed up the faux sea water. Froze it. Then added the lye.

When I combined the lye water and the oil it was black. So I stick blended expecting it to change color or lighten up and it never did. Then I realized I was at thick Trace🤦🏿‍♂️

View attachment 77062

Ended up with blue soap so far🤯

And the neroli fragrance oil is potent.
The oatmeal milk and honey is not.
The sandalwood fragrance oil is nice and mellow.

I was able to unmold them after 2.5 hours.

View attachment 77063
A month has gone by. Showered with a bar this morning and added it into the rotation. White lather, no purple streaks in the tub, I use an African net sponge so I couldn't tell if it'll mark a washcloth (but earlier testing showed that it will mark but not stain).
PXL_20240514_145819760.jpg

I think this experiment was a success. Learned that the aquarium sea water salt can be used for the faux sea water. And Alkanet root can do a man purple😁

Back