Advice on soap bags, please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I learned about 'soap bags' and being the curious type of person, I had to go looking at them. My first impression is - ewwwwwwwwww, scratchy! lol I'm not fond of exfoliation, except for the bottoms of my feet or maybe a little sugar scrub now and again, but in general - just no.

So, looking at Amazon, I found these - https://smile.amazon.com/BBTO-Saver...rd_wg=9GsC2&psc=1&refRID=MGR4PGAJXVZ42FB236Q8 made of sisal, and then these made of organza - https://smile.amazon.com/SunKni-Org...uch+tulle&qid=1552193727&s=home-garden&sr=1-1

Having no experience with any of them, I'm wondering what material will do the 'soap bag' job (be lathering, let the soap dry and keep bits and pieces more usable) without being scratchy?

I'd love to learn about your experiences with them!

I tried the sisal bags and absolutely hated them. They don't lather (worse than using the bar alone), the soap doesn't dry well and the sisal is pretty rough. I was pretty disappointed because I was trying to find a synthetic alternative.

I've since gone back to the mesh soap savers like these (some are exfoliating, some are soft like a pouf). I also got these and really like them. I have one at the sink for hands and one in the shower with a shaving soap puck (using Windsongs shaving soap recipe).

The "Soap Saver" bags I've used, and loved, are ones like Dibbles mentioned. Cotton. Crocheted. Other than that, I had a friend who suggessted taking a nylon bath pouf apart and unraveling it, then sewing it into bags with a tie. Good idea. Too much work for me! LOL :D

The "Soap Saver" bags I've used, and loved, are ones like Dibbles mentioned. Cotton. Crocheted. Other than that, I had a friend who suggessted taking a nylon bath pouf apart and unraveling it, then sewing it into bags with a tie. Good idea. Too much work for me! LOL :D

lol - I can't see me doing that, either! lol Nor learning to crochet, so I'll keep looking...
@midnightsoaper - I might try that less expensive one you sent, thanks!
@dibbles - *sigh* I wish I knew how to crochet! I have a friend in Ohio that does - maybe I'll beg her to make me one if I send her yarn! lol

Thanks, everyone!

*sigh* I wish I knew how to crochet! I have a friend in Ohio that does - maybe I'll beg her to make me one if I send her yarn! lol
Oh yes! Good idea! Hit the garage sales this spring/summer. I had a soaper friend in Chicago that crocheted some for me and later on, a DIL that whipped some up. Beautiful handwork. I kept them all pour moi! Didn't give even one away.

Maybe it depends on where you live or how humid your bathroom is, but those ones IL has keep the soap too wet in my bathroom and the same for in my granddaughter's bathroom. Of course neither homes (IL and Texas) tend to have hot dry bathrooms. I don't heat my house much in any season, and my DIL is frugal with the electricity as well, so that probably plays a part in them not drying out between uses. I have stopped using those bags because I don't like soggy soap.

Back