Addicted to Planing my Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same planer! I love it too! I was using a veggie peeler until I took several 'chunks' out of my hands! I saw this one on soaping 101 as well. I ordered it right away. They sent it the next day! Relatively quick shipping too (to Canada).

I just bought a planer also and I love love it!!! I am also addicted to planing my soap hahaha
Your soap is awesome and I love that purple color. I have been trying to get mine that purple but no luck with that.

I just bought a planer also and I love love it!!! I am also addicted to planing my soap hahaha

Your soap is awesome and I love that purple color. I have been trying to get mine that purple but no luck with that.

I mix ultramarine blue with a little bit of a fuchsia and red oxide. Works every time!

I just ordered one, what are the odds that I read this post just a couple days after having a batch ash worse than I have ever had one ash? Perfect timing! Thanks

Caution with soap planing!! Wear rubber gloves or something to protect you when planing soap cause I just sliced the tip of my finger really bad.

My planer arrived today and I have to say it makes a huge difference. Here is a before and after photo of the batch that ashed up really bad on me that was my driving force for buying a planer. I weighed the bars before and after planing. Before they averaged 4.8 to 4.9 oz, planing shaved 3/10 of 1 oz off them or 6 1/4%. Not a bad trade off, beats rebatching it. Note to self in the future, don't get in such a hurry to cut soap as the reason it ashed so bad was because I couldn't wait to cut it and cut it way too early.
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8%3B23%3Dot%3E2477%3D565%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E25%3B74668%3A6256ot1lsi

Last edited:
My planer arrived today and I have to say it makes a huge difference. Here is a before and after photo of the batch that ashed up really bad on me that was my driving force for buying a planer. I weighed the bars before and after planing. Before they averaged 4.8 to 4.9 oz, planing shaved 3/10 of 1 oz off them or 6 1/4%. Not a bad trade off, beats rebatching it. Note to self in the future, don't get in such a hurry to cut soap as the reason it ashed so bad was because I couldn't wait to cut it and cut it way too early.
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8%3B23%3Dot%3E2477%3D565%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E25%3B74668%3A6256ot1lsi

Love it!

How long after cutting are you folks planing? With the planer I got off of etsy, I seem to get a divot near the end of the bar for some reason and I'm not sure if this would simply go away as the bar hardens or if it is my technique.

I dont' plane mine but I bevel the edges about a week or so after cutting. I prefer them a bit firmer than when just cut.

I do not plane mine either. I just bevel the bottom edge because it make is easier to hold. If, which is seldom, I have a severly ashed soap on all sides of the bar I either steam it or wash it. I like to save all the soap I can on the bar for the customer.

I plane some but not all of mine, depends on what they end up looking like :) But I don't bevel or plane till right before I am ready to wrap them. So about the beginning of week 4.

I instantly fell in love with it too! And yes, very fast shipping! I need to get the curl thing down. Any suggestions or tutorials on that?

I'm sorry for such a late response. What I do for curls is use my planer that makes deeper cuts. I plane a very fresh bar of soap. Appox 1 week old so that its still very soft. Plane it slowly while pressing quite hard which helps the soap to curl up. Watch the fingers though. Don't let too much soap pile up under the planer because the curls will flatten each other. HTH

Latest posts

Back