Added labour charge/service fee?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For wholesale orders is it okay to include a labour charge for the time and energy spent on wrapping the soaps? Two layer at times for say over 500 soaps.(sometimes it goes up to 1500+ bars)
Since I work alone and it takes a good bit of time and effort, on top of the cost price it makes sense to factor in the extra hours. I normally add a nominal cost per bar as packing labour but am wondering if it makes sense to add a "service fee" of sorts overall instead?

Sometimes its met with hesitation and other times its completely valued. I also feel guilt about whether I'm unnecessarily charging, but its also an added 30 hours or more. Would love to hear thoughts on this

Hi @Sar I wouldn’t call it a labor fee, because wholesaler buyers aren’t interested in your labor costs. They only want to know the cost per bar.

Consider a different set fee per bar on the price sheet, based on whether it is wrapped or not wrapped. Keep it short and simple:

$3.00 per bar unwrapped
$3.50 per bar single wrap
$3.75 per bar double wrap

I don't understand why this comes up so much. Congress labels these fees as junk fees. It's an attempt to get more money out of people. Any kind of fees should be figured into the total cost per bar. Put it this way... when you see "service fee" on a bill, what do you think? That it's some greedy company just trying to get money out of you. So just don't do it.

Wholesale Supplies Plus charges a $5.95 extra fee. Does that strike you as fair when their prices are already so high? I'm betting it doesn't and you put it to a cash grab or a hidden shipping fee even though they say free shipping. Your fees are your responsibility.

Last edited:
Hi @Sar I wouldn’t call it a labor fee, because wholesaler buyers aren’t interested in your labor costs. They only want to know the cost per bar.

Consider a different set fee per bar on the price sheet, based on whether it is wrapped or not wrapped. Keep it short and simple:

$3.00 per bar unwrapped
$3.50 per bar single wrap
$3.75 per bar double wrap

Thanks for simplifying it, makes sense when looking at it this way.

I don't understand why this comes up so much. Congress labels these fees as junk fees. It's an attempt to get more money out of people. Any kind of fees should be figured into the total cost per bar. Put it this way... when you see "service fee" on a bill, what do you think? That it's some greedy company just trying to get money out of you. So just don't do it.

Wholesale Supplies Plus charges a $5.95 extra fee. Does that strike you as fair when their prices are already so high? I'm betting it doesn't and you put it to a cash grab or a hidden shipping fee even though they say free shipping. Your fees are your responsibility.
I hear you, it does sound scammy and unnecessary. I think ill just include it in the base price to avoid confusion and negotiations

Latest posts

Back