A question about scales

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgre

Reaction score
All the online recipe calculators I've seen calculate a recipe to the 0.01 decimal place. However I haven't seen any scales that weigh to the 0.01 decimal place; my scale calculates to the 0.05 decimal place.
So, how has everyone else worked this out, just round up to the nearest 0.05? This is what I've been doing and was just wondering it it was good enough.
I did find one scale online that will weight to 0.01 but is only good to 4 ounces. Only good for measuring Eo's or Fo's it seem to me.
Thanks in advance.
robgre

Does your scale do grams? You'll be more accurate if you start going by grams than ounces. But yes, I usually just round up a bit.

I just ordered this from Amazon: American Weigh Signature Series Black Digital Pocket Scale, 1000 by 0.1 grams

It's mostly to measure EOs and FOs. It was around 10 dollars and got reasonable reviews.

agriffin said:
Does your scale do grams? You'll be more accurate if you start going by grams than ounces. But yes, I usually just round up a bit.
I round up for oils and butters and round down for lye.

to 0.1 grams is more than adequate for soap.

if you are making micro batches, or making lotions and such with preservatives then you need more accuracy.

Latest posts

Back