A Kitchen Hand Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim1234

Reaction score
I am planning on making a Kitchen hand soap this weekend with coffee grounds.

I am thinking about 1lb of lard, .5 lb of Coconut Oil, and either .5 of OO, or .5 of Corn Oil. In your opinion, since the bar is for hands only, is it okay to sub the Corn Oil, (less expensive), or is there still merit to using the OO?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Of course I will use SoapCalc to determine complete properties of the batch.

I was thinking that for a body bar the OO would be better, but for just hand washing, is it necessary?

I haven't heard great things about corn oil in soap. I believe it makes a softer bar and may be more prone to DOS.

If you want to reduce cost, you could sub out the new Crisco (part soy/part palm). Or maybe sub soybean or canola (also DOS prone) for a small % of your OO.

You could also try a cheaper kind of OO, like pomace, although some people report that it speeds trace.

For me, my hands get more dry than almost anywhere else so I like a nice gentle bar.

Ditto what judymoody said. Corn oil is pretty high in linoleic acid, which will make your soap borderline DOS prone if used at the .5 lbs amount in your recipe. However, if you lower the amount of corn oil to 1/4 lb and use 1/4 lb of olive to make up the difference, your linoleic acid amount will be brought down into a safer zone where DOS is less likely.

IrishLass :)

Yeah, I learned to stay away from Corn Oil. Granted, I mostly just work with Olive, Canola, and Coconut oils.

What about canola oil?? That's pretty inexpensive and from what I've read it's supposed to be good as well. I agree with what Judymoody said about the Crisco as well. I've only used it once in soap making, but the soap that I made with it was extremely mild and moisturized as well as the soaps that I use the more expensive oils in.

Canola is fine as long as you keep an eye on your overall linoleic acid content for your batch. If you check the fatty acid profile for your entire combined recipe and see that the linoleic is going past 15%, cut back a little on the canola. If the linoleic is much more than 15%, it can make your soap more DOS-prone.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back