“What is this soap for?”

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Wanted to get your expertise on something: assigning a function to your soaps.

When I first started soap making and soap giving, I always got asked “what is this soap for? Body, hands, face, feet, laundry?” And initially I had no clue.

Now I’m starting to settle on these criteria:
- only the gentlest, lowest cleaning soaps for face. Preferably without fragrances or any additives to avoid irritating eyes any more than soap would.
- hand soaps have to be the hardest bars, since they get wet often. Also shouldn’t be too cleansing. These should definitely be fragrant, but not too colorful since they make a mess of the sink.
- kitchen hand soaps should be more cleansing, leaving little to no residue, and maybe with a bit of abrasive additives like pumice powder. Herbal essential oils like peppermint are good to help with garlic smells, and don’t cause problems if a little is still left on your hands when you handle food. What works for kitchen hands works for feet.
- laundry soaps are anything really cleansing, no super fat, no colors.
- body soaps are whatever is left over.

What do you think? Any other “types” of soap? Any recommendations for the uses I listed?

- kitchen hand soaps should be more cleansing,

I disagree with this statement. I wash my hands more in the kitchen than the bathroom. I don't want to strip the oils from my skin wherever I'm washing them. That's all the cleansing number means, after all -- how stripping it is. All soap will clean your hands. I also don't feel like I need anything scratchy in the kitchen. I do like a little bit after gardening, but it's not necessary (to me, anyway) after working in the kitchen.

As for soaps with a purpose, I personally don't think of my soaps as being form one purpose or another. I use the same recipe for my body as my face and my hands. I have made a gardeners/mechanics soap (search for @earlene blacksmith soap), but used my same recipe as the base for it.

I'm sure, though, that other people with more skin issues than I have will weigh in with ideas.

I disagree with this statement. I wash my hands more in the kitchen than the bathroom. I don't want to strip the oils from my skin wherever I'm washing them. That's all the cleansing number means, after all -- how stripping it is. All soap will clean your hands. I also don't feel like I need anything scratchy in the kitchen.
I agree with @artemis. I got into soaping purely out of curiosity, but when I discovered I could create exactly what I wanted, I decided wanted ONE soap that worked for my body and face, as well as around-the-house needs, as I am a compulsive hand washer and spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I was sick and tired of having multiple bars and dispensers, and I can't stand sink-side, or shower clutter. I just wanted one soap that suited all of my purposes.

I don't personally use or like gritty soaps (and I don't make them). When I need a little "extra" scrubbiness, I'm frugal and just grab a handful of salt, or sugar or used coffee grinds from that morning.

I pretty much make two recipes, one of which has two variations:

1. Lard (or lard-tallow blend, depending on what I have) at 60% with 20% CO, 20% soft oil, a 2% SF, 1% sorbitol, and 1% sodium citrate. My MB lye has tussah silk dissolved in it. Sometimes I add goat milk powder. The two usual varations include my husband's colloidal-oat neem bars, and a gardener-mechanic soap with borax and pumice (per Earlene's blacksmith recipe). These all use the same base recipe with slight tweaks. The untweaked recipe is used to make challenge soaps and soaps for gifting to family and friends. Although I can use my lard-GM soaps on my face, I generally don't, as this easy Cetaphil dupe works better for me.

2. ZNSB - 80% OO, 20% CO, with added goat milk powder. The only reason I make these is that a friend strongly prefers them to my lard bars.

I occasionally will make some high shea bars, or some 100% CO salt bars, but mostly I stick to those two main recipes.

When made with KOH and 0% SF, the lard bar recipe even works to make a nice liquid soap for foamer bottles at our sinks. Which reminds me, I do make Irish Lass' Creamy-Cocoa-Shea LS for our son-in-law to use as body wash. He says it's the only thing that doesn't make his skin itch.

Last edited:
I make one base recipe, and ZNSB. I use them both for all parts of the body. If people ask me if they can use it on their face, I always reply that I use it on MY face, but if they want to use it on theirs, that's up to them. No guarantees, as everyone is so different. Luckily for me - I have very good skin for an old girl so they probably think my soap must be wonderful for the face 😆

Last edited:
I also have a base recipe, mine is high in lard. I add coffee with no fragrance for the kitchen. In June I made a triple rice soap using the same recipe which I am liking on my face.

The only significantly different soap I make, which is absolutely necessary for me, is a 100% coconut oil salt soap. It is the only thing that really cuts summer body odor. I only use it during the summer and only when I’m especially funky.

I make a shampoo bar but that’s a syndet bar.

Back