May 2024 SMF Challenge: Hanger Swirls!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To enter the May 2024 SMF Challenge, post your name in the list below.

Then copy and paste these instructions and the entire list into a new post, adding the next number at the bottom.

Sign-up list:
1. Justsomeguy - it's gonna be nerve wrecking but I'm in. My first venture into multicolored soap😬
2. Ackosel - I need to get a hanger and learn how to use it. Expecting to enjoy the learning process, submit a very unimpressive entry, and have fun doing it!
3. Relle
4. dmcgee5034 - have hanger, will swirl 🌸
5. McKherringFarm
6. akseattle

Well, I have actually made two batches using what was a hanger technique. Except I didn't use or make an actual hanger tool either time.
The first time, I used a kitchen tool that looks like a jar lifter, but it is squiggly. I don't know what it is. I found it at the thrift store and its almost exactly as wide as my 400 ml soap mold. The second time, I made a rose design that required more precision. So, I used one side of a barbeque tong that's about 1 1/2 " wide.
So, question: Do I have to use a tool that is one straight rod the length of my mold?
Or can I use one of my kitchen tools that I've experimented with? I do have lots of wire coat hangers in my closet. If one straight rod is required, I assume I can figure out how to bend it into shape...
I'm a little short on creativity and I am a pathetic copy cat. I learn by copying what I see. So, if what I make looks like what someone else has already made, I'm not trying to pass my work off as original. My feelings won't be hurt if me and my entry are sacked for plagiarism ...

I stopped using the red palm oil I bought because it really narrows the color options- and the only no colorant soap I've made was with the red palm oil that got serious, serious soda ash.

So, for this challenge, I'll challenge myself to use my red palm oil again. So, one of my colors is going to be orange!!

Then copy and paste these instructions and the entire list into a new post, adding the next number at the bottom.

Sign-up list:
1. Justsomeguy - it's gonna be nerve wrecking but I'm in. My first venture into multicolored soap😬
2. Ackosel - I need to get a hanger and learn how to use it. Expecting to enjoy the learning process, submit a very unimpressive entry, and have fun doing it!
3. Relle
5. McKherringFarm
6. akseattle

Well, I have actually made two batches using what was a hanger technique. Except I didn't use or make an actual hanger tool either time.
The first time, I used a kitchen tool that looks like a jar lifter, but it is squiggly. I don't know what it is. I found it at the thrift store and its almost exactly as wide as my 400 ml soap mold. The second time, I made a rose design that required more precision. So, I used one side of a barbeque tong that's about 1 1/2 " wide.
So, question: Do I have to use a tool that is one straight rod the length of my mold?
Or can I use one of my kitchen tools that I've experimented with? I do have lots of wire coat hangers in my closet. If one straight rod is required, I assume I can figure out how to bend it into shape...
I'm a little short on creativity and I am a pathetic copy cat. I learn by copying what I see. So, if what I make looks like what someone else has already made, I'm not trying to pass my work off as original. My feelings won't be hurt if me and my entry are sacked for plagiarism ...

I stopped using the red palm oil I bought because it really narrows the color options- and the only no colorant soap I've made was with the red palm oil that got serious, serious soda ash.

So, for this challenge, I'll challenge myself to use my red palm oil again. So, one of my colors is going to be orange!!
I would think because it's a hanger swirl challenge, that's what should be used, it's not a kitchen tool swirl. If you look at the specific rules for this challenge, if you read rule E that might help. If you watch the videos you can see how it's used

I would think because it's a hanger swirl challenge, that's what should be used, it's not a kitchen tool swirl. If you look at the specific rules for this challenge, if you read rule E that might help. If you watch the videos you can see how it's used

Rule E seems to say you can use anything that can be made into the shame of a hanger tool:
"stainless steel straws or cheap wooden chopsticks taped together, or anything else that can withstand lye."

Sign-up list:

3. Relle
5. McKherringFarm
6. akseattle
7. Firefly24

@Firefly24 you have been entered - yay!

@akseattle please do use something in the shape of a hanger tool that fits the length of your mold, or close thereto. Your idea of bending a closet hanger into that shape is just perfect - that's what many folks do! An (optional) additional step would be to wrap it in packing tape, drinking straws, or something similar to make it a little bit thicker.

Another option is to tape together a couple of hard plastic straws. We have a lot of these left over from reusable plastic travel cups that bit the dust, are that no longer have tops to hold the straw, etc. Most of mine are just shy of the length of my mold so they are perfect for this!

Last edited:
@Firefly24 you have been entered - yay!

@akseattle please do use something in the shape of a hanger tool that fits the length of your mold, or close thereto. Your idea of bending a closet hanger into that shape is just perfect - that's what many folks do! An (optional) additional step would be to wrap it in packing tape, drinking straws, or something similar to make it a little bit thicker.

Another option is to tape together a couple of hard plastic straws. We have a lot of these left over from reusable plastic travel cups that bit the dust, are that no longer have tops to hold the straw, etc. Most of mine are just shy of the length of my mold so they are perfect for this!
@AliOop Thank you!! Yay! I have also heard that you could wrap the hanger with Saran wrap for a desired thickness. Just so happens a friend of mine gave me 4 coat hangers yesterday. :p:dance:

Sign-up list:
3. Relle
5. McKherringFarm
6. SoapM0m - I've been making soap for over 25 years and I've *never* done a challenge! This should be fun! :)

Sign-up list:
3. Relle
5. McKherringFarm
6. akseattle
7. Firefly24
8. SoapM0m - I've been making soap for over 25 years and I've *never* done a challenge! This should be fun! :)
9. The_Emerald_Chicken

Correcting list (a few names were skipped in the last post) and signing up myself. I planned to make a hanger swirl today anyway. It's in the mold right now.

Just finished my entry.
Spectacular failure! 🤣 Can't wait to see it cut😬
Lessons learned:
1)when working with multiple batches that go into a single mold, keep them in the same stage a you move through the process. I took the base color all the way to the mold before mixing/blending the other two colors. 🤦🏿‍♂️
2) vary the height of the pour so it sinks in.
3) don't panic 🥴
3) don't drag the spatula through the now solid base color🤦🏿‍♂️

All in all I did have a blast and I learned some new stuff too...

Just finished my entry.
Spectacular failure! 🤣 Can't wait to see it cut😬
Lessons learned:
1)when working with multiple batches that go into a single mold, keep them in the same stage a you move through the process. I took the base color all the way to the mold before mixing/blending the other two colors. 🤦🏿‍♂️
2) vary the height of the pour so it sinks in.
3) don't panic 🥴
3) don't drag the spatula through the now solid base color🤦🏿‍♂️

All in all I did have a blast and I learned some new stuff too...
Such great advice! Glad you have a sense of humor about it all. 🤪

That’s some good advice, @justsomeguy - can’t wait to see your entry.

I also made mine today, because the rest of the weekends this month look busy. Lessons in soaping that were helpful today:
1. When using a FO you know will move fast, it can help to warm your container of FO in a water bath
2. Get your batter to emulsion, divide and color before adding FO
3. Have everything needed in its place, everything else out of the way before adding FO
4. Work quickly and safely - follow your plan and don’t over think it
5. Swirl more than you think you should, and hope for the best 🤣
6. If your soap gets too hot, pop your mold up on 2 cans and put a fan on it (where mine is now) 😊

@Relle Okay. Understood. Coat hanger, here I come! If there is ever a kitchen gadget contest, I'll have a head start:D
@artemis and @AliOop , thanks for the tip on how to get the wire coat hanger to be thicker. Do you think a regular plastic drinking straw - like we used to use like years ago, would work ? Or does it have to be a super thick plastic straw like come in sports bottles? I found a bag of striped plastic drinking straws in a picnic basket in my basement. They are super old and some are cracking on the top from age. I have alot of chopsticks, but I'm not sure I would risk using tape. I'm afraid it would slip off in my soap:( ....

Oh my~ Just made a batch of soap with the hanger swirl method. I was hoping to use it for this challenge. I have absolutely no idea if it is going to work. Granted it was a recipe that is slow tracing, however, it may not get hard at all. Who knows? It's in the oven now and I am going to pray, light candles, or eventually laugh and say, oh well. Happy Sunday! 🙄🫣😲

To enter the May 2024 SMF Challenge, copy and paste these instructions and the entire list into a new post, adding the next number and your name to the bottom of the list.

Sign-up list:
3. Relle
5. McKherringFarm
6. akseattle
7. Firefly24
8. SoapM0m - I've been making soap for over 25 years and I've *never* done a challenge! This should be fun! :)
9. The_Emerald_Chicken
10. Vicki C

Last edited:
Back