Bathroom tile/tub replacement issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vent fan is broken. And yes, I have problems with allergies but always have particularly in spring and summer. I'll look for an electric grout cleaner because doing it by hand is not easy.

What does it cost to have the bathroom redone?
OK, in defense of BF I am a very happy customer. When we moved into our first ever house in PA, USA, out tub was in bad shape. We contracted them to replace the tub with a nice one. This was 23 years ago, and the work was done in 2 days. They torn out the old sectional walls, the ceiling and tub. Replaced the wall board, with moisture resistant wall board, and reinforced the flooring base. The entire shower/tub box was gone over with new materials.

The gentleman placed a reinforcement to the back wall for a handicap railing and put in the new tub, oval in shape for my hips, and installed the one piece surround. Most repairmen/owners use a sectional surround because it is easier to fit in. The tub has a 2" lip around 3 sides so the surround fits in it. This is so there will be no leaks if the caulking gets old enough to leak. The surround went for floor to ceiling and wall to wall to prevent leaks and to extend over the wall 4" beyond the tub front. The exhaust fan was replaced, the duct work replaced and the new ceiling placed. Grab bar and curtain rod installed with the new faucet. This cost $2950.00 US.

We had them replace the tub on the second floor with a walk in shower before we sold our house 3 years ago. That cost was $3750.00. We had a pull down seat and handicap grab bar.

The house sold for $295,00.00, and the raved over the bathrooms!

I will use them again for my new home in 2 to 5 years.

I'm trying to think of the name but I remember there are some places that can do a total replacement. Almost like a skin that goes over your tile and bathtub. Anyone here know what I'm talking about and where to find it?

A bit more info, found out the grout in both our bathrooms is regular grout. Which means so not waterproof in any possible way and its why we are having problems with mold and mildew growing so quickly in them. The last owners of this house did all the upgrade work themselves and were apparently not the brightest of people. This is so not how I would have done the bathrooms if I had had a choice. All the grout needs to be replaced which is alot of work especially since I have a broken ankle atm and a very bad leg that makes it hard to get down on the floor and back up again. Husband is ummm... too large (he's working on it and has lost about 80 lbs but still...) lol.

So we were thinking of viable alternatives and looking for prices. An all in one replacement with a proper surround seems like a great idea. It could be just dropped in and sealed volisanitation.com. But I can't remember for the life of me where I've seen those commercials are even what it's called.

Any ideas?
Hi! I want to replace the bathtub and surround in my home. (Built in 1983). The current tub/walls were an outdated almond color cast iron tub. I paid about $1200.00 to have them refinished to white. It only lasted a few months before it started peeling off. (The company that did it did not prep the surface correctly, having them come to repair is not an option) I don't want to keep refinishing and have it not last, so I'm wondering if a new tub is a better option. I have 2 quotes so far, $8000.00 and $10,000! Do these quotes seem too high? (Bath remodel companies) This is replacing the tub, 3 wall surrounds, new fixtures, etc.

Hi! I want to replace the bathtub and surround in my home. (Built in 1983). The current tub/walls were an outdated almond color cast iron tub. I paid about $1200.00 to have them refinished to white. It only lasted a few months before it started peeling off. (The company that did it did not prep the surface correctly, having them come to repair is not an option) I don't want to keep refinishing and have it not last, so I'm wondering if a new tub is a better option. I have 2 quotes so far, $8000.00 and $10,000! Do these quotes seem too high? (Bath remodel companies) This is replacing the tub, 3 wall surrounds, new fixtures, etc.
Is that in pounds or dollars ?

you can save quite a bit of money by buying the fixtures, tub and surround at a local DIY store and having a handyman or contractor install it.
can also save some money if you do the demo yourself.

I wish I could do it myself. I completely redid a living room, right down to patching holds in the walls and removing wallpaper. I've replaced faucets and pipes. I won't touch electrical with a ten foot pole.

The problem is that I've had serious medical issues since then and it's not really an option to do it myself anymore. Right now I'm recovering from a broken ankle, for example. Haven't been able to do anything for my business in about two months. Supposed to see the doctor in a month so I'm hoping he will tell me I can start getting back to life. I never thought I'd say this but my god I'm bored of video games. I've driven the car a few times so it's getting better.

I have considered buying the pieces and then having someone do it. Looks like a tub surround is about $800+. We don't have that much money right now.

Habitat for Humanity ReStores and Salvage stores may have the items you need at a discount.

I am sorry that you are still struggling with your health and your ankle. Hoping you get better soon!

Habitat for Humanity ReStores and Salvage stores may have the items you need at a discount.

I am sorry that you are still struggling with your health and your ankle. Hoping you get better soon!
Thank you. It's just one of those things. It's mostly just annoying.

Latest posts

Back